Friday, February 10, 2023

Friday Food: Taco Week

Friday 

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, fried potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I had baked extra potatoes with the meatloaf the day before, and those were what I chopped up and fried. I had plenty of fat to fry both those and the hamburgers, because I finally got around to rendering some of the suet we got from the last cow. 

It's actually unusual to get any fat from these range animals, because entirely grass-fed ruminants typically don't really put on a lot of fat. This, however, was an older cow, and as we all know, older females tend to hold onto fat in conditions that would not fatten younger females or males.

I could make a joke at my own expense about that, but I think I'll leave that alone.

Anyway. Here's the rendered suet all cut up and ready to render.


Commence melting.

Saturday

Short version: Daddy's special tacos

Long version: This was the day I went to the very far away basketball game. I left A. and the other three children at home, and for them I made taco meat with beans before I left.

When I got home with Cubby, we found that A. had fried tortillas and made taco shells for the meat. The children approved.


More evidence that Dad is the fun one.

Sunday

Short version: Pizza, frozen green beans

Long version: I made one pizza with bacon, the other just cheese. 

Because I avoid eating too much pizza, I made myself a hamburger with the last of the ground beef in the refrigerator. The boys expressed the opinion that I should just make hamburgers every day, just in case they felt the need for "something extra to munch."

Unlikely that I'm going to start frying auxiliary hamburgers every day, but duly noted.

Monday

Short version: Cafeteria leftovers, carrot sticks

Long version: I brought home a bunch of ground beef tacos from the cafeteria, which the children ate along with the carrot sticks. I was also given quite a few leftover eggs from the hot breakfast at school, which is what I ate along with leftover pureed calabaza.

There was also leftover peach crisp from the cafeteria. Also popular with the children. Yay for the cafeteria food.

Tuesday

Short version: Barbecue meatballs, baked potatoes

Long version: I baked the meatballs and potatoes right before Poppy and I left in the afternoon for Cubby's basketball game. I just left them in a turned-off oven so A. could feed the other two boys in the short time they had before arriving home after the bus run and leaving for judo.

I got home with the other two kids around 5:30 p.m. and fed them the same thing. Very convenient.

Wednesday

Short version: Cafeteria tacos, refried beans, hummus

Long version: The school cook had sent home about two dozen crispy tacos with me. A. heated some of those up for the kids while I was at our very delayed staff Christmas party after school.

We never had the party because we ended school a day early for our Christmas break, due to dangerously cold weather. And this was the first time all the staff managed to be available on the same night.

I brought hummus, carrot sticks, tortilla chips, and some dilly beans. There was a TON of other food, most of which I didn't eat, because I'm not really eating anything fun right now. Oh well. I had fun, even if I didn't eat (or drink) anything fun. And I didn't have to cook, which is always appreciated.

The kids had some of the hummus and chips when I got home with the leftovers.

Thursday

Short version: T-bone steaks, rice with chicken stock, green salad with ranch dressing, baked custard

Long version: I made the rice--in chicken stock with somewhat obscene quantities of butter--and custard for the child who had a sore throat. Again. 

Sigh.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


6 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- salad, leftover pizza, bagel
Sat- grilled cheese, salad
Sun- stew meat, noodles, broccoli, carrots
Mon- hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, pineapple, applesauce, salad
Tues- salad and hamburgers and hot dogs again. There were even left over chips.
Wed- pulled pork from the freezer, chicken strips, fried, salad.
Thurs- salad, bacon, French toast.

"Salad" is my husband's meal. Sometimes with chicken, if it's the main meal, and sometimes an egg or other random bits from the fridge. He's eating lower carb, and he finds that a bowl of lettuce really helps fill him up so he can avoid those evening snacks.
The kids are low on vegetables this week. Gotta fix that.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I'm with your husband--salad (and soup) with random vegetables and protein is much more satisfying than just a small bit of protein and vegetables on a plate.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Saturday - Crockpot chili, crackers, cheese and avacado halves

Sunday - Crockpot baked sweet potatoes topped with leftover chili and sour cream and avacado chunks

Monday - Scrambled eggs for me, biscuit with sausage gravy for huzbeast, sliced bananas and apple with peanut butter to go with

Tuesday - Half a**ed ratatouille and french bread...it was good despite my not having everything I needed which makes sense...peasant stew was originally more than likely a dish that was made with whatever was lying around right???

Wendsday - Baked beans with a sliced brautwurst I unearthed from the depths of the freezer in it, cornbread

Thursday - Baked BBQ chicken drumsticks, leftover beans and cornbread....yes, we eat alot of beans in this house

Friday - I have some smoked salmon so I'm thinking bagels and cream cheese topped with the salmon, grapes and apples slices to go with...works for me after a long week

Saturday - Plan on having grilled catfish, green salad and bread from the bakery

Happy weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

takeout
dirty rice w/ground chicken, bean/corn/greens salad
shrimp w/cheese raviolo, cauliflower
pork chops, pierogies, cauliflower
turkey rollups, mashed potatoes, broccoli
same as night before
and for tonight hamburgers, pasta/vegetable salad
Linda

JP2GiannaT said...

Mon: pork chops smeared with mustard and baked, rice, gravy, veggies.
Tues: chicken taco bowls. A bunch of vaguely southwestern leftovers heated up and served with chicken, rice, and queso.
Wends: shepherd's pie and spinach
Thurs: turkey noodle casserole
Fri:...soup? I think?

Kit said...

Friday-pot roast, rice, green beans
Saturday-leftover green bean soup, fresh bread, rhubarb cake with a package of last year's rhubarb I pulled out of the freezer. Amazing what you can find in there.
Sunday-meat pies, coleslaw
Monday-more soup, sourdough bread
Tuesday-bunless burgers, baked potatoes, broccoli
Wednesday-split pea soup, sourdough biscuits
Thursday-enchiladas, coleslaw, broccoli