Sunday, February 12, 2023

Snapshots: Definitely Random

No connecting theme at all this week, except that these are all part of my daily life.


Big cardboard boxes are the best for games. And sleeping.

We had a horrifically windy day during which the wind was blowing a different direction than it typically does. This resulted in huge drifts of tumbleweeds inside our property.


Can you see Poppy's bike buried back there?

The whole garden yard was likewise covered in tumbleweeds. It took A. and I with pitchfork and rake almost an hour to clear out. 

I have a sparkly, storebought Happy Birthday banner that got ripped several months ago and I keep forgetting to replace it.

Both A. and Jack's birthdays are during the holidays, so I slightly adapted this holiday banner we have up to reflect our sincerest birthday wishes.


Okay, yeah, this is pretty lame.

I still haven't gotten around to getting an actual birthday banner, though, and the holiday one is now put away. So I had to use my very limited art skills to make one for Cubby's birthday yesterday.


Actually, I think this in an improvement over the holiday one.

Incidentally, anyone else remember the old printer paper that was all connected, with those holed side binding things that had to be manually separated? We always used to use those to make big banners for my dad when he got home from overseas assignments or whatever. Sure was handy.

Anyway. Continuing our random . . .

I saw the very first sign of bulbs!


These are next to one of A.'s stone walls. The walls hold the heat of the sun, so anything planted near them gets extra warmth. I can't actually remember what I planted here. Maybe a crocus?

This time of year, our grocery shopping expeditions happen when A. is going to get hay. This means that he's the one doing the shopping. I write out a very detailed list for him, and he's very good about following it. So for those of you who enjoy peeking in other people's shopping carts (me!), here's our shopping cart in list form.


Some of this--like the shrimp, Oreos, and excessive cream cheese--is special for Cubby's birthday requests. The marshmallows are for Valentine's Day crispy rice treats. Tortilla chips for the hummus I made for the staff party last week. And we usually get a lot more milk, but I had just ordered some from Sysco at the school. So actually, I guess this is not particularly typical. Oh well.

And last, I noticed the other morning that the rising sun through the east-facing window spotlights this arrangement of religious art we have on the living room wall very nicely.


So appropriate for a Sunday Snapshots.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it might be a daffodil. I am drinking my coffee out of the picture mug of Cubby's first Halloween. So cute!

mbmom11 said...

Back in my early days of college , those printer paper banners were all the rage. Our school "gave" every one of the students a computer, and one of the few programs it came with (besides 4 discs for words perfect and a tic-tac-toe game) was a Gothic Letter Banner maker. I had bought a printer with my scholarship money, so it was all Gothic banners, all the time. Very handy for celebrating birthdays, bulletin board posters, and the like. The pain was the little holes that kept the paper online in the printer. That's where it would jam.
I love that your grocery list has a question mark after an item - easier to put it down and check if you really need it later, rather than forget it!
Enjoy your day!

Tu Mere said...

Would love to have a “Poppy in a Box” for my very own. Oh, and I do really miss that paper. The banners were the best, although I like your artwork as it’s very much in line with y’all’s isolation environment. I’ll have to go back to look more carefully for the bike. Don’t know if sheep eat tumbleweeds, but that would be a good thing if true!