Friday, February 17, 2023

Friday Food: Here Comes the Za'atar

Friday 

Short version: Ground beef fried rice, chocolate pudding

Long version: I had maybe a half pound of ground beef in the refrigerator that needed to be used. I fried it in a skillet with onion, cabbage, carrots, and a can of commodities green beans in the afternoon--plus garlic powder, soy sauce, ginger, and vinegar.

I used part of that at dinner to make the fried rice, by simply adding some of the leftover chicken-stock rice from the night before, and two whole eggs scrambled with two egg whites leftover from making the custard the day before.

This was eaten very enthusiastically by the children, which is always gratifying when I'm serving something totally improvised and intended to just use up random things.

I made the chocolate pudding because there were more children with sore throats. Of course. 

Fortunately, I happened to look at the recipe for Cubby's birthday chocolate cheesecake while I was heating the milk and cornstarch for the pudding. I realized that if I used all the chocolate chips required for a double recipe of the pudding (I always make a double recipe), I wouldn't have enough for his birthday cake. 

Whoops. That was a close one.

So I used a substitution I found online for half the chocolate chips that involved cocoa powder, sugar, and butter. That worked just fine, and I will probably do that from now on. Chocolate chips are a lot harder for me to get and keep in stock than those three ingredients, so from now on I think I'll save the chocolate chips for actual cookies or whatever when they're not being melted.

Saturday

Short version: Birthday shrimp, sausage, oven fries, green salad with ranch dressing, chocolate cheesecake

Long version: This was Cubby's birthday dinner request. The sausage was the boudin I brought home from Texas.

I used this recipe for the cheesecake, as I always do.


And it cracked, as it always does.

Sunday

Short version: Za'atar ground beef with yogurt sauce and hummus, more shrimp, leftover rice, carrot sticks

Long version: This whole dinner started with the hummus I had left over from the staff party. I made the ground beef with onion and za'atar, which is a middle eastern spice blend based on sumac that has a slightly sour flavor. One child didn't like the za'atar, but everyone else did. It was really good served over the leftover chicken stock rice with hummus and yogurt sauce (drained plain yogurt, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper) on top.

I didn't make a dessert, because I had made a dessert for the three previous nights and we still had ginger snaps.

Monday

Short version: Salmon chowder, ploughman's lunch

Long version: I had made the salmon chowder over the weekend for the sicklings and there was quite a bit left over. None of the children were notably enthusiastic about it, but they ate it, along with their bread, cheese, and pickled green beans. Which is what we now call a ploughman's lunch.

Tuesday

Short version: Leftovers, scrambled eggs, rye crisps, still-frozen green beans

Long version: A. finished the salmon chowder, along with some cheese and rye crisps. The eggs were for the children. They were pretty full from their Valentine's Day party and treats at school, so they didn't need a big dinner.

This was not a special Valentine's Day dinner--at all--but I did find some leftover buckwheat pancakes in the refrigerator in the morning that I made festive with my heart-shaped cookie cutter.


The eye rolling from my sons when I set these in front of them was the most amusing part of my day.

Wednesday

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, potatoes, carrot sticks and ranch dip

Long version: The potatoes were actually the parts of the potatoes left when I cut off the ends to carve hearts for stamping valentines. I had peeled and boiled the rest of the potatoes, not having any particular plan for them, just not wanting to throw them away. I figured I'd find a way to use the cooked potatoes. And I did, by throwing them in the pan with the hamburgers and frying them.

Waste not, want not, right?

I actually had the fortitude to fry hamburgers because school ended early due to the snow that fell all morning.


A 12:30 dismissal time leaves lots of time to play in the snow.

We reeeeally needed the precipitation, so yay for snow.

Thursday

Short version: A late conglomeration of foods

Long version: I was at Cubby's last basketball game with the younger two children. A. took Calvin to judo. All of us got home around the same time, about 7 :15 p.m. I had taken out three steaks to thaw, but hadn't actually cooked anything, and didn't really feel like cooking the steaks at that late hour. 

There were, however, leftover hamburgers and boudin sausage. So the boys all had one or both of those, and then everyone but one child had a cheese sandwich. A. actually cooked one of the steaks for himself, and also finished the hummus with some tortilla chips.

I ate half a leftover hamburger and a few tortilla chip crumbs while I loaded the dishwasher. Because all I wanted to do was get the children to bed so I could go to bed myself.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

11 comments:

mbmom11 said...

I forgot to write things down this week, so my best guess.
Fri- salad and French toast? Grilled cheese?
Sat- pasta , sausage, garlic bread, broccoli. I had to make an emergency run to the store for pasta as a certain child had used up all the raw pasta snacking during the week. Not thrilled about that.
Sun- salad and Dominos- planning ahead for later I the week.
Mon- tuna salad, leftover pizza, bagel.
Tues- leftover tuna salad, chicken strips and fries. Maybe? Homemade chocolate cream pie.
Wed- concessions stand, so I left a salad for husband and fed the kids hot dogs before I left. Homemade brownies. I ate popcorn. I need to remember to eat before helping out at concessions.
Thurs- tacos with black beans, tortilla and cheese. I had made cinnamon rolls when I got home from work- it was cold and rainy. We needed a treat.The kids had a snow day as snow had been predicted, though it didn't start until 6pm. Oh well. Now I hope the roads aren't too icy with a little snow on top of the rain.
Enjoy the weekend!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: The certain child didn't eat the pasta raw, did s/he? Or maybe s/he did. Kids do funny things.

mbmom11 said...

He eats it raw. Crunchy snack- it drives me nuts. He's an anxious kid, so I think the crunch must satisfy his nerves.

Karen. said...

"Crush, grind, or otherwise pulverize the cookies", lol

Only notable thing this week was the lasagna and two pies that my in-laws made for us. Completely never sad when people cook for us.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: Especially lasagna and pies. Yay, in-laws.

Anonymous said...

I think cheesecakes are irrelevant, but I believe Cook's Illustrated has some temperature tweaks that are supposed to prevent them. In a world of plentiful chocolate chips, one could melt some a d fill the cracks, which might actually be fun. I will do some research. MIL

Anonymous said...

No, I mean t that the cracks are irrelevant! Mil

Anonymous said...

takeout
superbowl party with family
tuna divan w/broccoli, garlic rice
spaghetti/meatballs, salad
mexican chicken, dirty rice, cauliflower/broccoli
chicken patties, roasted potatoes/broccoli
and for tonight shrimp taco salad
Linda

Kit said...

Friday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Saturday-hot dogs, potato chips, broccoli for grownups only (of course), and chocolate and strawberry heart-shaped cakes straight off the grocery store shelf. You can bet everyone ate those. And the chips.
Sunday-sliced leftover pot roast and gravy, rice, peas
Monday-leftover split pea soup, fresh bread
Tuesday-stirfried leftover hamburgers and shredded cabbage, rice
Wednesday-scrambled eggs, oven-fried potatoes, broccoli
Thursday-salmon, baked potatoes, coleslaw

Daisy said...

I love your improvised ground beef fried rice! We keep a Zatarain's mix or two in our pantry, but it's possible to combine various leftovers and vegetables to make a great dish. A can of beans helps, too.

JP2GiannaT said...

I like to use leftover boiled potato to make lazy gnocchi or dumplings. You mix potato with 2 cup flour and an egg in a food processor until you get a thick dough and then pinch pieces off and boil in broth or salted water. It's not pretty, but it's tasty.

Mon - fried chicken (takeout) with turnip greens (homemade)

Tues- hot dogs, sausage, Mac and cheese. Not romantic, but pretty easy.

Weds- chicken and dumplings with veggies

Thurs- out to eat. Wasn't planned, but the afternoon went so seriously sideways that we resorted to it as an emergency measure.

Fri- scrambled eggs with potato, tortillas, sauteed pumpkin (we have a bunch of little sugar pumpkins I've grown and I've been trying to find uses for them)