Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Growing Food: Continual Planting

This is the time of year that I'm always watching the weather, waiting for a break in the wind so I can go out and plant things.

As you know, I've been wanting to plant out my cabbage and kohlrabi starts for a couple of weeks now, but the forecast keeps throwing in a couple of nights in the low twenties, just to keep things interesting. I am not putting out baby plants when it's going to be in the low twenties, even if they are somewhat protected by their very classy plastic milk jug greenhouses.

So. No plants.

But that doesn't mean I can't put things safely under a blanket of dirt!

Like snow peas:


Also very classy with their re-used cattle panel A-frame featuring the remains of last year's green beans. Classy is a theme in my garden. (And that is definitely sarcasm.)

And potatoes:


The bed for which provided so many excellent grubs for the chickens.

The occasional freezing night does not, however, deter some of the things that were already in the ground. Our intense sun warms the soil so much that many of the seeds and perennials are already above-ground.


Parsley.


Rhubarb. This already sustained some frost damage, as you can see by the brown on the leaves.


Volunteer lettuce that came up by the rhubarb, because we watered there already.


Radishes.


The lettuce we planted a few weeks ago.

All of these things will be covered with mulch and boxes, as needed, to protect them from the temperatures for the next couple of nights. But after that, then we're looking at temperatures in the seventies and even eighties during the day, and no more freezing.

That means I will shift from protecting plants to encouraging them to grow. And that will mean watering. A lot of watering.

I should also be able to plant out those cabbages. FINALLY. And then I can use the mushroom containers those plants are in to start some more tomato seeds. I did put a couple dozen tomato seeds into the salad green containers A. got for me awhile ago, but I'm going to need to start another dozen or so to have enough plants, what with the inevitable attrition that occurs getting the plants from seed to actual tomatoes. I always figure I'll lose at least five plants somewhere along the way, and I might lose more than that.

So if I start more than I need, I might end up with enough. If that makes sense to you, you're probably a gardener.

So tell me, my fellow gardeners: What are you seeing coming up in your garden now? Or in your house, if it's still too cold outside for anything living to be above ground?

6 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

The cilantro and chives are already coming back bigger than last year. (Well, covering more ground anyway.) Just about time to get the basil and tomatoes going.

Jody said...

We planted seeds today, and by "we," I mean my husband and kids. I did, however, make it outside since it is finally warm enough for my face! It felt so wonderful! And I walked around looking for things popping up: daffodils, snow glories, mint is spreading, saskatoon berries growing, trees budding, etc.

Karen. said...

Oh actually when I went out this afternoon I discovered that half a dozen radishes have emerged. So there you go! Not nothing. :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: Regarding your earlier comment, I am unfortunately one of those people who can't abide cilantro, so we'll never know how well it would do here.

Jody: Yay! The spring strolls are the best.

Karen.: Radishes are good like that.

Anonymous said...

"Mama N" is being creative around here, too! ☺☺
-ST

Daisy said...

Planting more than you need is totally logical. As is the statement: They're old seeds, they won't all come up. Ha! I usually prove myself wrong on the latter. However, more tomatoes is good, not bad, so I'll plant more.