Sunday, April 2, 2023

Snapshots: Patchy

Now that the weather is warming up, the children and I can resume walking or riding bikes to the post office when we have things to mail.


Riding home from the post office. (It's only a quarter mile, don't worry.)

A. and I planted some of the excess commodities potatoes that were sprouting. While he was digging holes for me, I spied some of the nasty, silvery grubs that usually appear when we're digging beds in the spring. I'm not entirely sure what they turn into, but I know they're nothing I want in my soil. 

I don't get any great pleasure out of picking these things up, but I know some smaller people who do.

 

They found a total of nine grubs, which were duly delivered to the chickens. Happiness all around.

Adventure Van is starting to show its age (14 years) and all those adventures are catching up to it. A tear appeared in the fabric covering the driver's side seat. I knew if I didn't do something about it, it would get bigger, the foam underneath would start to come out, and the seat would end up being a total mess.


A stitch in time saves nine!

I'm sure there are car patches or something I could buy, but buying things isn't really my style. I was tempted to just duct tape it, but in the interests of trying to maintain some semblance of class--if such a word can be applied to a giant old passenger van--I made a patch of my own.

Poppy donated a pair of her ripped jeans for the patch. I tried super glue first, but that didn't hold, so I had to sew it. I don't have much skill at sewing, and this was a particularly aggravating situation to try to be making stitches, but I managed it in the end.


We'll call this boho chic.

Of course, I don't know if it will hold, and I might end up having to use duct tape in the end, but I tried.

Last, a friend loaned me a novel to read, and I was amused at the floral theme of the cover that I inadvertently matched with my bookmark made from a torn out piece of a tulip bulb catalog.


Incidentally, this is one of the best books I've read this year. If you're looking for something to read at the moment, I would recommend it.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked up the book you're reading on my libraries website & placed a hold.
It seems like it would be a novel I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hester is already on the to-be-read list of my book group! I am glad that you endorsed it! Mary in MN

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

One patch is a fix. A dozen patches is a style. Does Adventure Van have enough life left in her to become stylish?

Elaine N said...

As a retired grandmother who just applied for medicare, I find your constant productive activity making me need a nap :-). But seriously, I love the way you tend to your family's needs and also serve your community. Now that I am an empty nester, your photos and children stories bring back pleasant memories.

Elaine N said...

And I just reserved Hester at my library and am #5 on the waiting list. It must be quite popular.

Anonymous said...

Love the patch job!!

Also, just so you know I think it's great you bike ride with your kiddos. We did with ours along with hiking, kayaking and many other things...we rode bikes for 30 miles once (round trip)..quite by accident but there you are. Your spending time with them! I'd rather see a kid riding bikes under a big sky with the wind blowing all around verses being parked in front of a television or video game. No apologies or reassurances necessary!

Best,

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: I sure hope so. We're hoping to make the van last through our hauling-four-children-plus-friends years.

Elaine: Thank you. I'm so glad you find pleasant memories in the stories here.

Anonymous: 30 miles? I bet that one went down in family history . . .

Anonymous said...

Yes...it was all flat land which is deceptive...add to that various critters, old farmhouses and many other interesting things to look at...yes...30 miles round trip..my behind was sore...lol.