Friday, May 5, 2023

Friday Food: Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Fish

I hit all the proteins this week.

Friday 

Short version: Sloppy joes, pureed potato soup, green salad with ranch dressing, composite cookies

Long version: Kind of a last-minute use for the package of ground beef I had taken out of the freezer, and then all I heard was how much everyone looooves sloppy joes.

Okay, then. I guess I didn't realize the depth of passion we have for sloppy joes in this household.

I made the soup for a sick child who had a terrible sore throat. It had a lot of cream in it, and thus, was good.

The cookies I made this day started with a chocolate chip cookie recipe, but then I added in cinnamon, oats, and raisins, so they ended up being a hybrid chocolate chip/oatmeal raisin cookie. Heartier than plain chocolate chip, but more indulgent than plain oatmeal raisin. A good mash-up, I thought.

Saturday

Short version: Double dogs on homemade buns, pickled radishes and onions, cucumbers, cookies

Long version: I was making bread, so I made some buns. Because they were sourdough, and didn't have any milk or oil in them, they were more dense than your typical hot dog bun. They were also larger, which is why I actually put two hot dogs on each buns.

The hot dogs were some the school cook gave me a few weeks ago. There were like two dozen, and I knew we wouldn't be able to eat them all quickly enough, so I froze a bunch.

The radishes also came from the school cook. Sysco radishes have very little flavor of any kind, which is why I pickled them. Because then they taste like pickles. I used white vinegar, water, salt, and sugar (I didn't measure anything), and I also threw some thinly sliced onion in the jar too. There was room, so why not? They turned out a very pretty pink thanks to the radishes, and were very much enjoyed by those who put them on their hot dogs.


Pretty in pink.

Sunday

Short version: Ribeye steaks, leftover potato soup, sauteed asparagus, cucumbers with salt and vinegar, ice cream with leftover salted caramel sauce

Long version: I probably shouldn't even bother listing the asparagus, because I'm cooking half a dozen or more spears almost every night. Often I eat them before dinner even starts, but sometimes they make it onto A.'s plate. This night, they did, and he very much enjoyed his fancy steak and asparagus meal.

Monday

Short version: Leftover steak, hot dogs, bread and butter, pickled radishes

Long version: I didn't have quite enough steak for everyone, so two kids had some of the cafeteria hot dogs from the freezer.

Pause for a pretty photo of pickled radishes and onion:


Pink!

Tuesday

Short version: Roasted chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette, peanut butter/almond cookies

Long version: We haven't had chicken from the store in a loooong time, but A. bought a couple of whole ones last time he went grocery shopping. I roasted one with just parsley and onion ends inside (I save the ends of onions when I cut them off for making stock or whatever), and butter, salt, and pepper on the outside. 

It needed more seasoning, but it was fine. Especially with the gravy.

The cookies were these peanut butter cookies, but with some finely chopped almonds added, just because I have SO many almonds from commodities that any cookie that can reasonably accommodate them gets almonds in it. These cookies accommodated the almonds very well.

Wednesday

Short version: FFA food, buckwheat pancakes

Long version: I was at the FFA banquet, where I had smoked pork, coleslaw, and pinto beans. 

A. used the remainder of Sunday's buckwheat pancake batter to make pancakes for the three children at home. They prefer buckwheat pancakes with peanut butter rather than syrup, so it makes for a slighly more wholesome dinner than standard pancakes.

Thursday

Short version: Tuna patties, leftover mashed potatoes, green salad with mustard vinaigrette, cobbler with cream

Long version: I came home from work on Wednesday with a LOT of tuna. I guess the cook had opened a giant can and only used some of it for some tuna pasta salad for the salad bar, so she sent the rest home with me before it could go bad. That's what I used for the patties.

She also sent me home with a lot of leftover peach cobbler, and slightly less apple cobbler, so everyone got to choose. And then they had cream on it.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


8 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- food of some sort. Maybe grilled cheese with bacon?( I lost my list of dinners so I'll be winging it.)
Sat- homemade pizza with bacon and pepperoni as desired. I had cheerios.
Sun- miserable weather day, so baked chicken, stir fry veg, broccoli, eaten, rice. Cinnamon rilolls for dessert because it was so cold and windy, I wanted the oven on.
Mon- corned beef from freezer, broccoli, hash browns, oatmeal bread.
Tues- salad, chips, hamburgers, hot dogs, apple slices. Triple chocolate bars.
Wed- salad, chicken patties, chips, applesauce slices
Thurs- I went out of town, so I had m&ms on the plane. Kids had something . I left enough tuna salad for 2 days for husband. I prepped enough for that they won't starve for a few days. I left a menu plan but who knows if they follow it.
Enjoy the week!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I prep food for the home crowd for the rare times when I leave home, as well, and everyone gets fed. If not the way I would have done it. :-) I hope your trip has something fun in it, and isn't just duty. Safe travels.

Kit said...

Friday-cabbage and potato soup, fresh bread
Saturday-we had a first communion this morning, so when we got home at noon we had sausage and egg casserole (I left it in the oven with the automatic timer set), tossed salad, fresh fruit, and lemon filled coffee cake. It was the fussy eater's first communion - she had fruit and coffee cake! After all that, dinner was pretty much make your own sandwich.
Sunday-pot roast, noodles, peas
Monday-leftovers
Tuesday-cabbage and potato soup, cheesy biscuits
Wednesday-scrambled eggs, oven fried potatoes, broccoli
Thursday-enchiladas, frozen green beans

Anonymous said...

Definitely going to try the pickled radish recipe.
Linda

Natalie J said...

I boiled eggs in a pot that had previously held oiled noodles, because I remembered your "reduce dishes" tip! The little oil drops in the water didn't affect the eggs at all, and there was one fewer pot to wash.

Sunday: Cheesy ham and tomato pasta skillet. We bought cheap ham after Easter, then we diced and froze it to use throughout the next few months.
Monday: Cobb salad, deconstructed so everyone could choose what they wanted. Easier with the preschooler that way.
Tuesday: The plan was slow cooker BBQ chicken with cornbread, the reality was freezer lasagna, doubled to also go to a neighbor who just had a baby.
Wednesday: Cupbop was celebrating their birthday with cheap dinners, so ate there.
Thursday-Saturday: Leftovers for as long as they last, pantry stuff after that.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

NatalieJ: I ofent hardboil eggs just because I have a pot that can be used one more time. I'm never sorry to have the eggs cooked. Also, I smiled at your plan vs. reality. We've all been there.

Daisy said...

I'm impressed by your ingenuity in saying "these radishes are bland, so I'll pickle them." Nothing is wasted on your end! I have a chicken broth in the crock pot right now - the carcass from tonight's roasted chicken and some bones left over from a previous meal. The house will smell heavenly.

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: beans and rice with leftover smoked pork.

Tuesday: I caught a stomach bug that struck in the middle of the day and gradually got worse as the day continued. I was going to make a new pork pie recipe, but ditched that in favor of hamburger helper made with ground pork instead of hamburger. I got it about halfway done before husband came home and finished it and I went to go suffer in another room.

Wednesday: We went out to a local Tex Mex place because I was exhausted from the previous day's intestinal battle and wasn't going to cook if I could help it. I ate a bit more conservative than normal.

Thursday: pork chops fried in lard, potatoes, pickles of various types I'm trying use up before I have a ton of new jars, and watermelon. (There is a theme here...we just got a slaughtered pig from my in-laws, who drove from the butcher in Illinois to their house in South Texas with three freezers in the bed of a pickup truck).

Friday: Zucchini fritters from the type of cookbook I call a "rich people bacon cookbook" because it calls for things like prochoitto (aka rich people bacon) and goat cheese. I did not have the very expensive Greek cheeses the recipe called for, so I used Mexican blend, Parmesan from a can, and Mozzarella. They actually tasted ok.