Friday, June 23, 2023

Friday Food: And Then It Got Hot

We've definitely left behind the unusually cool and rainy weather and are having much drier and hotter weather. Which means it's 80 degrees in my kitchen in the afternoon, and I've started doing more of my cooking in the morning. It's the summer schedule.

Friday 

Short version: Fried pork, leftover rice, raw cabbage, pureed calabaza, baked custard

Long version: This wasn't canned commodities pork. This was a pork shoulder I cooked for awhile in the morning. While the oven was on, I made custard too, because I definitely have children that need the extra calories.

I still have at least half a dozen quart bags of pureed calabaza in the freezer that I need to work through before fall. The only way to do that is to thaw them and have it taunting me in the refrigerator, daring me to let it go bad.

What, your food doesn't have an attitude? Weird.

Saturday

Short version: Meatloaf, baked potatoes, frozen peas

Long version: Nothing to report here, except maybe that the potatoes A. got last time at the store were so huge that I split one into four pieces for the kids, and that was plenty potato for them. Seriously large potatoes.

Sunday

Short version: Father's Day steak, dill potato salad, pureed calabaza, raw snow peas, rhubarb/strawberry slump with whipped cream

Long version: Last package of rib steaks, more or less this potato salad (I use less sugar, more bacon, and regular onion), and the same rhubarb/strawberry dessert from last week that A. declared perfection. Except of course, since I didn't measure last time, I couldn't measure this time, and I apparently didn't get the fruit quite sweet enough.

Oh well. I made up for it with the whipped cream, which I did add enough sugar to this time. This is the hazard of cooking without recipes. 


I didn't intend to stage a shot of the Father's Day food, it's just that I use the top of the woodstove as an extra counter in the summer, so a lot of things end up here.

Monday

Short version: Fried pork tacos, raw snow peas

Long version: A. went to Kansas to buy a horse trailer.


A cute little two-horse one that was made in the '70s. You can tell from that totally '70s orange color.

It was just me and the three younger children here for dinner. For them, I mixed some of the leftover pork with salsa, put that in folded-over corn tortillas with cheese, and fried them to make crispy tacos.

I had some of the pork in a salad. Because it's garden lettuce season, hooray!

Tuesday

Short version: Leftover steak, rice, raw snow peas

Long version: Nah.

Wednesday

Short version: Chicken and rice skillet, fresh bread and butter

Long version: It was over 90 degrees this day, and I had to bake bread in the afternoon, which always raises the temperature of the kitchen at least five degrees. All the way until pretty much dinnertime, I was planning on tuna salad with the bread. But then I changed my mind last-minute and used the leftover rice with a can of chicken from commodities, plus onion (from the freezer), garlic powder, mayonnaise, grated cheddar, and frozen peas, to make a hot skillet of food.

A very popular dish, it turned out. A. also had some leftover steak.

Thursday

Short version: Spanish tortilla, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I have to space out my serving Spanish tortilla, or it loses its appeal for the children. It had been awhile since I had made it, though, so they were all happy to eat it. This was a basic one of just diced bacon, onion, potatoes, eggs, and cheese.

And it is definitely garden lettuce season, which means salad every day. Even if I don't serve it to the children, I have one.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Hot weather strikes again, so boring survival food.
Fri- hot dogs, hash browns,salad.
Sat- grilled chicken, rice,broccoli, ramen.
Sun- steak, hobo potatoes on grill, pineapple, apple slices. It did rain a little, but I thought it was going to get really hot so I bought a chocolate layer cake from Walmart instead of baking one myself. It was very well received.
Mon- pasta, Italian sausage from freezer, garlic bread on the grill. (Trying to keep kitchen cooler. ) a little dark in a few spots but acceptable. Chocolate chip Banana bread made early in day for dessert.
Tues- hot dogs, chips, apple slices. Husband had salad.
Wed- grilled pork chops, hobo potatoes, leftover broccoli, bagel for picky eater. In the evening, I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and a cherry pie.
Thurs- husband and teen boys away helping big brother move, so at hone we had grilled cheese, chips, applesauce. The movers got Chipotle in big city. Even picky eaters like quesadillas and tortilla chips. ( grilled cheese- universal food!)
The cherry pie was a bit of a nightmare. Our neighbors offered that we could pick cherries from their tree, which has an enormous amount of fruit. Kids and I picked about 12 cups of cherries. Then I had to get the pits out. I used a straw to pop the seeds out. My kitchen looked like a crime scene. Made 1 pie, froze fruit for son-in-law to have, and abandoned plans to pick more for the fall. Such a mess. I would not make it as a homesteader.
Enjoy your week!

Andra said...

Not the best week in our house. It was very atypical.
Saturday: my dad took us out to eat. My huaband was working.
Sunday: spaghetti and meatballs. Husband was working but ate aome when he got home.
Monday: I do not remember. I know I cooked. And there were no leftovers. Husband was working so I know it was something he typically does not like. He did have leftover spaghetti and meatballs when he got home.
Tuesday: My husband and I had a late lunch after our dermatology appointments for our annual skin checks so kids ate hot dogs and fruit before we headed to the local amusement park in between rain showers.
Wednesday: date night so we tried a bbq place when we were done with an appointment. My dad took the kids out for dinner.
Thursday: I ate a late lunch at home after volunteering at our Church library and the kids had chicken nuggets and fruit for dinner. Husband was working.
Tonight I will probably make fish.

Kit said...

Friday-leftovers
Saturday-we went to a birthday party; my contribution was two Boston cream pies
Sunday-barbecued beef in the crockpot, fresh bread, salad (lettuce and Swiss chard from the garden, beet greens from the farmers' market), vanilla wafer pudding
Monday-creamed chicken, biscuits, salad
Tuesday-leftover meatballs and leftover cheeseburger casserole from the back of the freezer where they'd been stalled for some time
Wednesday-we had the 8, the 5, and the 3 visiting again, and the 5 had wished devoutly for salami sandwiches. She got them! The 3 had to have a cheese sandwich because the salami looked funny. Snowpeas, watermelon.
Thursday-pork and potato casserole, coleslaw

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday - Meat pies, green salad, roasted potatoes, and since he doesn't do cake... I made him his favorite cookies...the boy was happy.

Monday - Perogies with sour cream and chives on top, green salad.

Tuesday - Chicken, peppers and asparagus stir fry, rice.

Wendsday - I'm gonna call it ham and bean soup but it was really a hodgepodge of different things thrown in a pot with some withering potatoes simmered together, crackers and cheese to go with.

Oh and btw...you get credit for being the first to make me laugh today...food with attitude...I love it. But then I have a twisted sense of humor.

Ahem. Anyway...

Thursday - We sort of got our Brady Bunch on and had pork chops with fried apples. Last of the asparagus to go with.

Friday - I'm wiped out and cranky because I'm a sweaty monster (90+ here today) so I plan on being a lazy punk and picking up a pizza and some merlot.

Saturday - Another hot day expected so I'll probably make chicken salad to eat over greens and some melon on the side...totally do ahead of time meal so win win.

Happy weekend everyone!

JP2GiannaT said...

We ate a bunch of random stuff this week, but the most random was shark.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could make a calabaza custard?

Claire said...

I love the horse trailer, it is indeed very cute!

Mon chickpea & feta fritters with a salad of snap peas, lettuce and mint
Tue pizza and salad
Wed grilled chicken drumsticks, pasta salad and salad
Thu slow-cooked pork chilli with nachos and sour cream
Fri sausage, potato and zucchini sheet pan
Tonight: sushi with my mum sister and nephew/nieces
Have a great weekend everyone!
Claire