Friday, September 22, 2023

Friday Food: Fast Food

Friday 

Short version: Smoked sausage, rice, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I went all the way to the grocery store by myself this day, and while I was there, I took a look at the sausage selection. I can never resist looking for sausage, even though it's usually not very good.

This time I got some smoked pork sausage, which was almost exactly like giant hot dogs. The kids liked it, of course. It wasn't bad. It wasn't really good either, but it was okay.

Saturday

Short version: Pizza, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: Making bread, making pizza. And this time I didn't screw up my dough, so the crust was delicious. Yay, me. I also got pepperoni at the grocery store, and I got the fancier Dietz and Watson pepperoni that was near the deli, instead of the Hormel or whatever we typically get. It was a lot better than the cheaper stuff. I don't like pepperoni, but this I could actually eat.

Sunday

Short version: Leftover pizza, sausage and rice skillet, chocolate ice cream

Long version: I started feeling a cold coming on this day, so I didn't really want to cook. Unfortunately, some children got into the leftover pizza while I was resting during the day, so there wasn't enough for everyone. There was, however, leftover rice and leftover sausage, and those two things, along with the sauteed diced onions I had stashed in the freezer and frozen peas, became a skillet offering to fill out the pizza.


Fast food, my way.

Monday

Short version: Mexican bull casserole, raw cabbage

Long version: I was still not feeling well, and I stayed home from work. I had a period of slight improvement in the late morning that allowed me to put together the casserole--processed bull meat, black beans. corn tortillas, cheese, and a kind of enchilada sauce I made by pureeing a can of whole tomatoes and cooking it down some with chile powder, garlic, onions, cumin, and paprika.

That was a good idea, since by dinner time about all I felt capable of doing was shoving the casserole in the oven and whacking some chunks off a head of cabbage.

Tuesday

Short version: Spaghetti with sheep sauce, raw broccoli with ranch dip

Long version: We had a ewe literally kill herself with greed on Sunday by eating too much alfalfa hay. Since she didn't die of anything nasty and we found her shortly after she died, we could butcher her. So we did.

The meat has to age for at least a couple of days, which much improves its taste and texture. Because it was too warm to hang it outside--flies were an issue as well--A. quartered it and put the pieces in our big cooler with blocks of ice we made by freezing water in gallon ice cream buckets. 


Meat just chillin'.

We did all the cutting up, grinding, and packaging this day.

I used some of the ground sheep meat to make spaghetti sauce. Very good sauce it was, too.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers, cucumbers with ranch dip

Long version: Spaghetti with sheep sauce for the kids, Mexican bull casserole for A., salad for me.

So much for the long version, huh?

Thursday

Short version: Pork, garlic bread, sauerkraut, steamed carrots and broccoli

Long version: I cooked a big pork picnic roast in the morning, which I then pulled apart and broiled in some of its own rendered fat. I flavored it with mustard and maple syrup, which is an excellent combination for pork.

Garlic bread because I was making bread, and I had just made pizza.

Sauerkraut because I love it with pork. I only canned about four pints with the spring cabbages, but my parents were visiting and my father also loves sauerkraut, so I decided the time had come to use one of those precious pints.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

12 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- after a long week, I did not feel like cooking, so pancakes and sausage. My husband also had leftovers, and I had some ramen.
Sat- spent the afternoon helping in the kitchen at my parish's Mexican Fiesta. There was a bunch of taco meat leftover, so I bought 6 lbs of it to bring home and froze most of it. The kids had tacos, the husband made a taco bowl with the meat, salsa, and the last of the Mexican rice from the Fiesta. I had ramen.
Sun- chicken strips, fries, broccoli.
Mon- hamburgers, hot dogs, waffle fries, pineapple, apple slices. (If the fries are a different shape, it counts as a different food, right?)
Tues- while making brownies, I baked up chicken breast as well. This allowed the chicken to cool so when I sliced it for dinner in the afternoon I actually got nice slices.
Husband made the into sandwiches, kids ate them plain, with rice, leftover broccoli. I popped some slices into ramen.
Wed- leftovers of burgers and chicken, chips, broccoli., apple slices.
Thurs- stew, carrots, little potatoes, mashed potatoes, leftover broccoli, and fail bread. I rushed the baking and took it out 5 min early. Kids ate bread anyways - butter makes everything better.
I hope you have a happy and healthy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday - Baked yams, veggie/cheese plate, bread.

Monday - Stuffed mushroom caps, another veggie plate, bread.

Tuesday - Stew over mashed potatoes (strange I know, but it's how my husband grew up eating stew...I figure it's because they had ten mouths to feed and six of those mouths were ravenous boys...potatoes are a good cheap way to fill so many stomachs so they ate A LOT of spuds)

Wendsday - Leftover stew with grilled tomato and cheese sandwiches...and of course husband polished off the leftover potatoes.

Thursday - Corn on the cob, fried apples, sliced tomatoes and bread...my kind of meal....easy to.

Friday - Tortellini Alfredo with salad is the plan.

Saturday - Plan on making baked beans which we eat with toast... kielbasa and peppers to go with.

Happy weekend everyone!

mbmom11 said...

Stew over mashed potatoes is my default cold weather meal! Maybe it's regional?

Kit said...

Friday-chicken, baked potatoes, corn on the cob
Saturday-leftover stuffed peppers, corn
Sunday-we had a confirmation today and I wasn't sure when we'd get home, or what everyone would want to eat, or if the weather would be hot or cold. So I went with make your own ham, salami, and/or cheese sandwich with or without lettuce and tomatoes, fruit salad, ice cream and brown sugar cookies.
Monday-scrambled eggs, toast, green beans
Tuesday-salmon, baked potatoes, tomatoes, molasses cookies
Wednesday-poached eggs (husband not home)
Thursday-chicken and spaghetti, green beans

Anonymous said...

Hi there mbmom11!

To answer your question..I haven't a clue if it's a regional thing or not. I'm in the Pacific North West and don't know many who won't eat potatoes any which way they can as often as they can.
Like I said, there were a lot of hungry kids my mil had to feed and potatoes were a good filler and made up for the fact that there might not be quite enough to go round when times were financially tough.

I will say that stew over mashed potatoes is quite good...and your right, it's a perfect meal on a cold rainy day.

Andra said...

Saturday: we ended up going out to eat. My daughter’s friend called asking if we would take her to the local amusement park. I was tired after a long day. My son had a soccer game then we went home grabbed the girls, then headed up to the amusement park. They went off and did their thing and checked in with me via cell phone while my husband and I took the youngest to the kid section.
Sunday: I cooked but do not remember what I made. We ended up taking my daughter’s same friend from Saturday home with us after church and added one more to the mix. The girls had fun hanging out before heading back to church for youth group in the evening, but it definitely threw off my Sunday routine.
Monday: chicken tikka masala with rice
Tuesday: ravioli with marinara sauce and salad… I quickly made it before. Heading out to an appointment with my daughter. My son had soccer. Thankfully, my husband was not working so he was able to take him. The local church sells hotdogs at the practices so he wanted a hotdog after practice. So that was his dinner and then I think he came home and had some fruit.
Wednesday: fish, rice, and green beans
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: air fryer, chicken nuggets, and fruit salad for the kids. My husband is working and I had a late lunch so I wasn’t hungry. My son asked if he could play with one of the neighbor kids and when I texted to see if I could take them to the playground in our neighborhood the other mom invited him to her house so we went over there and didn’t get back until dinner time so I quickly came up with something since I had two hungry kids. So the meal I was originally planning to make is being put off until Saturday or Sunday.

My daughter has a social anxoety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and my son is having a tough tome adjusting to attending school full time. He gets overwhelmed especially at lunch and recess woth the large crowd of kids. So, I told them I would try to be more intentional about making sure they got together with friends outside of school. They took me at my word and it’s making me realize that I need to be a little bit more organized for meal prep for last minute plans. I am an introvert to the core so this is a new challenge for me.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: I could feel the tiredness of an introvert overloaded with social interaction throughout your entire post. Even before I got to the last sentence. I am also an introvert and an extreme home body, but three of my four children are very sociable. Accomodating that is surprisingly difficult and uncomfortable. Good luck!

mbmom11 said...

Hi- my son has social/generalized anxiety diagnoses, and I would suggest you get a 504 plan for your son- maybe he can go somewhere else at lunch or recess when he gets overwhelmed? My son has permission to go sit in the counselors office when he gets stressed and shuts down. I wish I had done something similar a lot earlier in his school career. Having a plan in place can provide the kid a good deal of comfort, and the teachers can know how to deal with situations as they arise. YMMV.

Natalie J said...

I had stew over mashed potatoes as a kid but it was always canned stew over instant mashed potatoes, because it was a "my parents don't have it in them to do anything else" meal haha

Natalie J said...

Sunday: Chicken tortilla soup, one of my favorites. We have a recipe that involves blending tortilla chips and avocado into the soup, and it makes it nice and thick and kind of creamy. I’m glad it’s soup weather!
Monday: Biscuits and gravy casserole. Not my favorite dinner (I just don’t love sausage gravy), but I wasn’t the one who made it so I don’t complain haha
Tuesday: Preschooler’s choice, she’s on a mini hot dog kick. But she says she wants mac and cheese for next time, so we’ll see if she actually remembers that by next week.
Wednesday: Pizza salad
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: I went to dinner with a friend, so I had the restaurant 's house salad and Cajun chicken alfredo. Both were delicious.
Saturday: Leftovers

Anonymous said...

Lol...ya .I think every parent has a meal like that up their sleeve...mine happens to be tortellini with garlic butter and what ever veg I have lurking in the fridge (usually peppers...tossed in at the last moment to get hot but still stay crisp...15 minutes max and then we eat..this type of "moms to dang tired "meal was usually and still is eaten in front of the TV so usually no complaints.

Daisy said...

My favorite recent meal was homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch and grilled cheese sandwiches. Homemade chicken broth from the pantry, rotini noodles, diced carrots, diced onion, a little garlic, and one (count it, one!) chicken breast. Simple and yummy and a good cure for the drippy noses and sore throats in the house.