Sunday, September 10, 2023

Snapshots: Plants and Chickens

I was bringing the sheep some hay when I noticed a very odd plant flowering in the back pasture.

It had very pretty flowers and a particularly striking seed pod.


Curioser and curioser.

When I went back inside to get my phone to take a photo, a child followed me back outside, and when I showed him the plant, he said, "It looks like the devil's claw we picked up in Arizona."

Ah ha. A quick online search confirmed that identification. I expect one of the children dropped their seed pod and it opportunistically grew in our pasture.

I haven't decided yet whether it's something I want to allow to continue growing on my property. The mature seed head is pretty frightening looking, although apparently parts of the plant are edible.

Anyway. Lookit the flowers!


Lots of roadside sunflowers to choose from. Although most are damaged by cucumber beetles.


And the ornamental sage is staging a comeback. Hooray! That means I can have . . .


Sunflowers 'n' sage on the table.

And last, some free-ranging chickens at sunrise.


The early chicken gets the bugs. Or something.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago I grew some devil's claw as an ornamental. I believe that the seed pods can be very dangerous to horses and I imagine sheep. I kept a few of the seed pods for quite some time as curiosities.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, destroy the devil's claw! That is not a fun plant to have around, and, as you've noted, it's *very* opportunistic ... and prolific. If you let that one grow, next year you'll have dozens.

That being said, if you do let it mature, the seed pods make absolutely adorable desert Rudolph Christmas tree ornaments with the addition of a loop for hanging, some googly eyes and a red mini pom for a nose.

--Karen.'s sister