Friday, September 8, 2023

Friday Food: Redemption Bread

Friday 

Short version: Unfortunate pizzas, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: I was making bread, so I used some of the dough to make pizza. Unfortunately, I had left the sourdough out on the counter the night before, figuring it would be cool enough. It was not cool enough, and the dough rose and then fell again.

When this happens, the texture is weird, like biscuit dough, and the resulting bread is very dense.

So was the pizza crust. Boo.

Saturday

Short version: Experimental chicken and bread, carrot sticks with ranch dressing

Long version: I had a vague idea to make croutons with some of the dense bread, but then I happened across this recipe for chicken slow-roasted on bread slices. I mostly followed the recipe, except I had chicken pieces--drumsticks and thighs--instead of a whole chicken, and I didn't have fresh lemon or thyme.

The chicken came out well, although the skin could have been crispier. The bread underneath tasted really good, although it was not beloved by all the children. A. really liked it, though.

Sunday

Short version: Leftovers at home, leftovers at camp

Long version: A. took three of the children fishing and camping at a lake about an hour away. For them, I made foil packets of potatoes--baked the day before while the chicken was in--and leftover barbecue meatballs.

For me and the one sick child who had to remain at home, there was leftover chicken, rice, and green peas. And chocolate ice cream.

Monday

Short version: Fried carp, garlic bread, raw cabbage, chocolate ice cream

Long version: A. went to a lake with children, where they apparently caught many carp. Four of those carp came home this morning. A. filleted them and fried them with a masa coating.

Carp taste pretty good (except the dark meat on big carp--that's gross), but they do have a LOT of bones. Luckily, our kids are pretty used to fish with lots of bones and know how to pick around the bones.

The one child who does not like fish much had cheese instead. I typically do not provide substitutes for an unappealing dinner, but to be honest, I don't like fish much, either. Which is why I had a hardboiled egg for my protein. And why I had some sympathy with the fish-denier.

I have a photo of the carp before filleting, but it is undeniably unappetizing. This one of the bread I baked and didn't mess up this time is definitely better.


No rising problems with this batch. Because I kept in the refrigerator overnight.

Tuesday

Short version: Pork'n'beans Mexican casserole, broccoli

Long version: My plan for dinner changed more than once throughout the day. I had a leg of lamb roast that I had taken out the day before, but that got superseded by the fish. I had thought I would make it this day, but it was a Tuesday. Tuesdays have gotten somewhat complicated by the fact that Poppy stays after school for cheer practice* and her brothers are gone for judo between 5:30 and 8 p.m. 

I have to pick Poppy up at 4:45 p.m. at the school (A. is still driving the bus at that time), get her home, feed everyone, and make sure the boys are ready for judo by 5:30 p.m. This means that whatever we eat has to be ready when I get home at 5 p.m. with Poppy. So I have to make it ahead.

Lamb roasts are not good make-ahead candidates.

So then I decided to fry a can of commodities ground pork with a can of black beans and some tomato juice drained off whole tomatoes, along with spices and onions from the freezer, to make taco meat. My plan was to put the meat and shredded cheese in corn tortillas and fry those to make crispy tacos, which could stay in the oven on warm while I went to get Poppy.

But THEN, I decided it would be even better to make all those things into a casserole that could just sit in the oven. So that's what I did.

Wednesday

Short version: Gianelli Italian sausage, fried bread, carrot sticks

Long version: Two more packages of the sausage A. brought home from New York. A very fast, and very popular, after-work dinner option. 

I fried the bread slices in the pan after the sausages were done. I figured I might as well soak up all that tasty grease.

Thursday

Short version: Bunless bull burgers, rice or bread and butter, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: More of the ground bull meat, made into burgers. Rice for the adults, bread for the children. And I finally used up the last of some quite old store lettuce. I still haven't returned to good-enough digestive health to eat a lot of salads, so it's been languishing for some time. All gone now, though!

Unfortunately, the seeds I planted after the hail storm didn't germinate. But the volunteer lettuces are seeding for all thet're worth, so maybe I'll still get some lettuce before the end of the growing season.


An old photo of the flowers on one plant that are now all little white fluffy seeds. Yay.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* Yes, we have a very junior cheer squad at our school. All girls older than sixth grade actually play the sports, but the girls younger than sixth grade don't. So pretty much every girl from kindergarten through fifth grade cheers. I never thought I would be a cheer mom, yet here we are.

6 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- - pasta, Italian sausage, broccoli, garlic bread. Birthday boy requested Mini cheesecakes in cupcake wrappers. I used a vanilla wafer for the crust - little small but it worked- everyone liked it.
Sat- I forgot to plan anything and so grilled cheese and chips. Maybe applesauce? I was tired.
Sun- hot again, so grilled chicken, rice, broccoli.
Mon-i think tacos? Very gross muggy day.
Tues- it was supposed to be hot, and it was another birthday, so I planned pizza. It turned out not so hot, but I kept pizza on the menu.( I had a gift card for Domino's). I didn't want to bake a cake in the heat, so I bought donuts with sprinkles. Festive!
Wed- fried rice to use up vegetables in freezer, leftover chicken, broccoli and ramen noodles for those who don't like fried rice. I do offer alternatives sometimes, as I'm a picky eater myself, but the broccoli was leftover from earlier, and ramen noodles could boiled while I stirred rice. Not really any extra effort.
Thurs- cool day! So chicken stewed in gravy with carrots and little potatoes, the last of the broccoli, and biscuits. Also homemade cookies, as I had pretty much just been doing cookie bars all summer.
Glad you've recovered! I hope you enjoy the cheerleaders. (I was never sporty, so the fact that most of my kids did 2 or 3 school sports through junior high and some in high school is still astonishing to me.)

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday - Was running errands all day so we stopped off and had a burger dinner at Way Back Burger.

Monday - Crock pot beef roast with carrots and potatoes, cob corn, bread.

Tuesday - Baked salmon, roasted carrots, peppers and onions, avocado halves.

Wendsday - Shredded beef and green chili enchiladas with toppings.

Thursday - Had random leftovers and veggies that needed eaten so I heated everything up, put it all on a platter, poured a glass of wine and parked the two of us in front of the television...whatever works after a long day right?

Friday - Plan on making lasagna, green salad and bread.

Saturday - Our neighbor gifted us with some cabbage from his garden so I'm thinking fried cabbage, apples and bratwurst...with bread of course.

Happy weekend!

Karen. said...

"yet here we are" is something I say practically daily. Like, is this really my life? OK, apparently. And carry on.

p.s. wish I could share some calabacitas with you as we have seen no hail at the house and they have LOVED our drought

Anonymous said...

I think breaking the bread down, Adding more flour and liquid, giving a brief rest, and then reforming, would work. One could stick the whole mess in the fridge until there is enough time to repair the batch. Time, of course is the issue. MIL

Kit said...

Friday-chicken and tomato sandwiches, broccoli (too hot to cook, the chicken was left over)
Saturday-bunless burgers, baked potatoes, corn on the cob
Sunday-egg salad sandwiches (still too hot), corn on the cob
Monday-went to the in-laws. It was great, although it was 95 that day.
Tuesday-German green beans (sweet and sour, with bacon), baked potatoes
Wednesday-bacon and egg sandwiches, tomatoes, corn on the cob
Thursday-tuna salad and biscuits

Tu mere said...

Bet Poppy loves cheering. Seems like it would be her kind of activity, as there’s movement and stuff to learn to shout out. Fun!