Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Seeking Accountability

Today is supposed to be all about the food I'm growing in my garden, and in fact, I have many tomatoes on the remaining tomato plants, hooray! I do not, however, have many ripe tomatoes in my kitchen yet, and if this year has a theme of any kind, it's one of not counting my tomatoes before they're ripened.

So. No gardening today. Instead, I am here to ask for help.

I need to paint a bathroom today. It is the children's bathroom. It has needed to be painted since . . . well, since before we moved in five years ago. Although I did do a lot (A LOT) of painting before we moved in, I did not get to the bathrooms. 

I really dislike painting, so it's one of those things that I could always find an excuse not to do.

But then I got free paint from the school maintenance guy who was trying to clear space in the school shop. And then a certain child who shall remain nameless put up something on the wall of his room using four, four-inch nails. His room shares a wall with the children's bathroom. The shared wall is not four inches thick.

The nails went straight through the wall and stuck out into the bathroom, right over the toilet, about two inches.

It was not a good look.

Said child cut off the ends of the nails with an angle grinder, which did eliminate the sticking-out nails, but also resulted in large gouges in the wall.

Also not a good look.

So I'm pretty much forced into painting now, because I may not have really high standards for our very well-used home, but that was a bit much even for me. 

I managed to get all the various holes and gouges spackled, and the spackle sanded.


So many holes. Such a bad photo.

Today is the day. Today, as you are my witness, I will put the first coat of paint on those walls. I'm telling you this to hold myself accountable. Because if I tell all of you I'm doing it, and promise to post the after photo, then I will actually do it.

Otherwise, I can quite easily convince myself that I have more important things to do. Like bake cookies. Or clean under the bench in the living room*.

But today is a Painting Day. Wish me luck. I'm going in.

*Although that really does need to be done. It can wait, however.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! However, free paint saves you from (a) wondering what color to paint it, and (b) driving many miles for paint. And as always, it is a good feeling to have it done. MIL

Andra said...

I hate painting so I feel your pain. And I agree, free paint helps to not have to decide on a color. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate painting, also. I'm always wearing more of it than actually makes it to the walls. :)
I can't wait to see the finished product. And as MIL said above, it does always feel good to have a painting job done.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Go for it! You can do it! Mary in MN

Gemma's person said...

Oh, dear, I am afraid of the paint color, since you didn't mention it.
Deductions....a shop class..teenage boy color..maybe to please his mom..or outrageous to be outrageous..or to fit in his teenage boy room.. or his dad's game room..possibly the color of the shop room..or the lavs..or a ceiling somewhere..wow , that gives us quite an array of possible colors doesn't it? I do paint, but not a perfectionist. Have painted many rooms for mom and dad, for sister in law, neice, brother in law.my laundry room . I use music or talk radio to make it a zone out time and it's over before it is started. A good roller and long handle ext to go on it help for ceiling and I am short. Most brooms, dust mops ..the head can be screwed off and use the handle as your extension w/o buying one.I am sure you have one child who will be interested in helping with it somehow!Can't wait till tomorrow for the reveal.

Tu mere said...

Well, you’ve already done the worst part (at least in my humble opinion) so now you can see the finished product, which is the most rewarding part of the project. You really know how to have fun at home by yourself.