Wednesday, September 6, 2023

A Woman of My Word

I said I would paint the children's bathroom yesterday. I did it.

I am very proud of myself, yes. And I'm going to post lots of photos to revel in my accomplishment.

Although I may most kindly be described as a slapdash painter, I did actually take the time to tape the electrical outlets, towel racks, and so on before I started.


Using some very colorful masking tape that I think my mother gave us.

I also put down the most redneck drop cloth ever.


It's made from a cut-up chicken-feed bag. 

Even with the drop cloth there, I still managed to get drips of paint all over the floor while I was painting. Slapdash, like I said. This is why I always keep paper towels on hand when I'm painting.

Anyway.

One of the things I was happy to paint over was this little wall drawing done by an unidentified child some years ago.


No one ever confessed, but I have my suspicions.

Another thing I was very happy to paint over was the border of flowers all around by the ceiling that was put up by some previous occupant of the house.


I love my sunflowers, but this is not to my taste.

Because I just didn't care that much, I didn't bother scraping off all of this floral paper. Instead I just painted over it. This is what that same area looks like now.


Much better.

I had a gallon of bright white indoor paint, and a quart of "sunshine yellow." So I painted everything white except the cabinet doors. For those, I put some of the yellow in with the white, to tone down the sunshine a bit.

This is the wall with the nails that started the whole thing.


You can't even tell the mess that was there before.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. 

Next on my painting agenda is the adults' bathroom. It has a ceiling border of giant magnolias with a maroon background. I can't wait to cover that up.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super!! Mil

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Excellent job with completing a dreaded task!

Cheryl in IL

Kristen said...

Wohoooo! I love to see it!

Anonymous said...

Well done!
Lisa

Mei said...

I love the soft yellow on the cabinets.

Gemma's person said...

Wonderful, thank goodness the paint wasn't the purple ;) I was scared at first glance.
Yellow is my favorite color. Glad you put white in the yellow. I like a really light yellow almost butter colored.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful!
Linda

Tu mere said...

Love the yellow cabinet door accent. I’m with you when it come to prep work and time spent on anything by the actual painting. Looks great, even without the before pictures.