Friday, November 17, 2023

Friday Food: Taking the Show on the Road

Friday 

Short version: Elk spaghetti, steamed broccoli and carrots

Long version: I had taken two bags of elk stew meat out of the freezer, but it didn't thaw very quickly. Instead of trying to hurry it along, I just cut some of it off--still partially frozen--and then diced it up and browned it, adding a chunk of caramalized onions from the freezer, roasted tomato puree I had made in the morning, two cubes of pesto from the freezer, and garlic powder. 

Most of this went over spaghetti for the children. A. had his with a piece of bread.

Saturday

Short version: Elk stew, garlic bread

Long version: The rest of the meat made into stew. Elk meat (and almost all wild meat) needs added fat. I didn't have any rendered beef tallow left, but I did have some suet (the unrendered beef fat) out to grind with bull meat. So I sliced some of that up and rendered it in the pot before I added the meat pieces to brown.


I'm not sure what it says about me that I render tallow before making stew.

And then my brain apparently short-circuited, because I actually added the carrots and potatoes (and onion, garlic, pureed tomatoes, Worcestershire and soy sauce)  to the pot as soon as the meat was done browning.

Elk meat takes like three hours to get tender. By which point the vegetables would have been mush. So I had to pull all the solids out and then pick out the meat to put it back in.


Post-picking.

And then, when I did add the vegetables back in, I decided there wasn't nearly enough, so I added three more potatoes and two more carrots.

This wasn't my most organized attempt at stew-making, is what I'm saying.

It all worked out. The stew was good.

I had made the garlic bread the day before and just warmed it up in the microwave for dinner.

Sunday

Short version: Bull 'n' bean enchilada casserole, steamed carrots and broccoli, chocolate pudding with cream

Long version: Since we have thirty more pounds of three-year-old bull meat in the freezer, I thought maybe I should continue working through the prepared (pressure-canned and food-processed) bull that was already in my freezer.

Also, I hadn't made the enchilada casserole in awhile, and it's always popular as long as we haven't had it recently.

Alsoalso, I had all that tomato puree in the refrigerator from roasting tomatoes a few days prior, which meant it was easy to make the enchilada sauce.

I made the pudding because one child had a bad sore throat. That seems to be a feature of our fall this year.

Anyway, I used this recipe for the pudding, except I didn't have quite enough cornstarch. I did, however, have a single egg yolk that had been languishing in the refrigerator since I made spiced nuts last week. So I finally got to use the egg yolk up, which was very satisfying.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: Same casserole, different night. It's a Monday!

Random photo break:


Crazy sunrise. In real life, it was an apocalyptic red color, but that sort of thing rarely comes through in photos. At least, not with my terrible phone camera.

Tuesday

Short version: Elk steaks, chicken-y rice, frozen green peas

Long version: I mostly made the rice (cooked in chicken stock) for the child with an iffy stomach, but it was appreciated by everyone else, too.

Wednesday

Short version: Mexican-ish skillet food

Long version: I realized in the morning while I was getting breakfast for the children that this was a First Communion class night, which meant I wouldn't be getting home until 5:30 p.m. and would need something very fast for dinner.

Luckily, there were still a couple of uncooked elk steaks in the refrigerator, so I cut those up small and put them in a marinade. Then, when I got home, I fried those, added some canned pinto beans, leftover rice, frozen cooked onion, salsa, and shredded cheddar, and called it good.

It was pretty good, actually.

Thursday

Short version: Chicken soup at home, chicken sandwiches on the road, chocolate chip-oatmeal bar cookies

Long version: I had one package of giant chicken breasts in the freezer and one child who wasn't feeling well. The chicken went in the stock pot (still completely frozen), where I poached it until I could pull the meat off. I used the poaching liquid and some of the chicken--and other things, of course--to make a chicken and rice soup.

Some of the poached chicken I sliced, seasoned with some mustard vinaigrette and salt, and used for sandwiches along with some bacon left over from breakfast. I made these because we have a new basketball player in our house, and he had a tournament game an hour away. I had the younger two with me at the game, so I made the sandwiches and brought them along in my insulated lunch bag so as to avoid the concession food.

I do not like spending twenty dollars for hot dogs and Frito pie.

The younger children ate their sandwiches during the game. The basketball player ate his in the car on the way home. They all ate the bar cookies in the car, too. Everyone enjoyed their dinner, and no money was spent.


Much better than hot dogs.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- baked chicken, hash browns, rice, corn, broccoli. A grain heavy night.
Sat- I had to take son to basketball game in big city at night, so pasta and sausage. Red sauce counts as a vegetable?
Sun- special olympics basketball practice until right before dinner, so needed a make ahead meal. stew, carrots, broccoli, noodles. I made bread, but in my attempt to not rush it, it was overproved and collapsed. They still ate it- butter or gravy hid my sins.
Mon- boy basketball so I left teen in charge of chicken strips and fries. Bball boy had grilled cheese before we left. I gave everyone apple slices as I walked out the door. I was planning on concession stand popcorn for dinner, but I didn't have extra money with me- the nice mom at the gate let me in for half price because that's all I found in my wallet and scrabbling around in the car. Unintentionally frugal. We did hit a drive thru for diet coke and a milk shake for boy for the long drive home. (And the milk shake lid wasn't on tight and spilled all over the cup holder. It's not easy to clean out a cup holder in the dark with only napkins.) Luckily the restaurant gave us a new milkshake so boy got his cold calories.
Tues- another far away bball game, and I made grilled cheeses for boy and husband before they left. Then I felt really tired and so used up the last of fries and chicken strips. Broccoli.
Wed- tacos without lettuce, as it had gone bad in the fridge.
Thurs- another game, in town. Grilled cheese with bacon on the side to excuse my shortcomings.
Basketball eats up time and energy- and money! Even when I plan on bringing snacks, it's never enough.
I use an instapot because I never remember to take the meat out in time for it to defrost.
Our abnormally beautiful fall weather ends today- winter descends with highs in the 20s next week. Cozy food time!
Enjoy your weekend!


Mei said...

Friday: Chicken in peanut sauce. I discovered I had an extra large supply of peanuts and ramen so it was a noodley weekend.
Saturday: Stir-fried noodle with shrimp and vegetables
Sunday: Sesame and peanut noodles
Monday: Shrimp salad
Tuesday: Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Pie
Wednesday: Teriyaki Beef Roast
Thursday: Spanish Chicken

Enjoy a good weekend!

Kit said...

I spent most of this week trying to use up stuff out of the freezer to make room for the turkey looming on the horizon.
Friday-leftover black beans from the freezer, tortilla chips, apple pie
Saturday-sausage (freezer), eggs, potatoes
Sunday-miscellaneous freezer stuff, I can't remember and that's probably for the best
Monday-baked beans from the freezer, sourdough biscuits
Tuesday-meatballs (freezer), noodles, peas
Wednesday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Thursday-liver and bacon, yes, from there. Baked potatoes, cauliflower. And I bought a 22 lb turkey today and it fit in!

Natalie J said...

Your roasted tomato sauce reminded me, my breakfast lately has been sourdough toast topped with hummus, roasted tomatoes, and a runny egg. We've almost worked through all of our formerly green tomatoes, I'll miss that breakfast.

Sunday: Dinner with family to celebrate a cousin's birthday, we provided guac.
Monday: A new curry dish. Not wonderful, not bad. It will be eaten but probably not made again.
Tuesday: Preschooler's choice, mac and cheese this time.
Wednesday: Spaghetti with more Autumn pasta sauce from Trader Joe's. We can't get enough!
Thursday: Sandwiches. All three of us actually ended up having different types, but everyone was fed and we were able to talk around the dinner table.
Friday: Tacos at a friend's house, we brought some of the toppings
Saturday: Dinner out to use a gift card. Preschooler was very excited!