Friday, November 24, 2023

Friday Food: Turkey (and Elk) Time

Friday 

Short version: Chicken soup, PB&J sandwiches, cookie bars

Long version: This was the day we spent all day at the basketball tournament. I figured we'd probably eat one meal out--that turned out to be lunch at Sonic--but I brought food for the other meal. There were peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a Thermos of chicken-rice soup, and chocolate chip cookie bars. 

On the way home, at 8 p.m. the children ate the rest of the almonds that had been in the car, and also the cold french fries leftover from Sonic. 

It doesn't matter what time of day it is, or how much they've eaten previously: If we are in the car for an hour the children will want to eat. I knew they would eat the french fries on the way home, even if they were cold. That's why I saved them.

Saturday

Short version: Pizza, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I made just one pizza, with bacon, because A. wasn't home. He was in Tucson visiting his dad. So I didn't need so much pizza.

I made ranch dressing, too, for the pizza dipping, but I put vinaigrette on the salad.

Sunday

Short version: Elk steaks, spaghetti, frozen green peas, toffee bars

Long version: Plain spaghetti with butter and garlic powder, cooked frozen peas . . .

And the toffee bars.

One child announced he wanted to make a "special cookie." He chose toffee bars. This is a recipe in my old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It's pretty involved, with three separate layers, a bowl, a pot, and so on. Not something I'm willing to do regularly, but the children liked them.

Monday

Short version: Elk and bean chimichangas, carrot sticks

Long version: I unfortunately started to feel the full effects of a cold this day, and reeeaally did not want to cook. But the show must go on!

I had two small elk steaks left that hadn't been cooked yet, so I diced those and simmered them with salsa and spices. Then I added in the last half of a pint jar of pinto beans, put that mixture in flour tortillas with cheese, and fried that in butter.

Tuesday

Short version: Barbecue meatballs, baked potatoes, frozen green peas

Long version: Still feeling poorly. I took out a bag of bull meat fromthe freezer and made meatballs with that. Those just bake for an hour or so, which is why I also shoved some potatoes in the oven (using this trick first to make sure they cooked through) and a Pyrex bowl of frozen peas to heat up.

One oven for the full meal is the easiest way to get a balanced dinner on the table.

Wednesday

Short version: Elk steaks, bread and butter, frozen green peas

Long version: If you see both bread and butter and frozen peas in the same meal, you can pretty much guarantee that I was SO OVER the kitchen by the time dinnertime rolled around.

I took the post-surgical child for his first physical therapy appointment in the morning. The appointment was at 8 a.m. in a city 100 miles away, so we left while it was still dark. That's why I randomly grabbed a bag of meat from the freezer on the dark porch before we left, figuring I could come up with something to do with it later.

"Later" was at 5 p.m. after I had spent two hours in the kitchen making pies and cranberry sauce. And cleaning up from making pies and cranberry sauce. 


In progress: Cranberry sauce done, lemons for lemon meringue pie juiced and zested, squash awaiting its pie shell. And dishes. So many dishes.

I was not inspired at dinnertime, so I just fried the steaks in butter with random spices on there, microwaved the peas in a bowl, and added the bread to round everything out.

And then I absented myself from the kitchen, leaving the literal piles of dishes still in the sink to A. I decided it would be best to delegate what kitchen work I could so I didn't burn out entirely and spend all of Thanksgiving resentful of the constant kitchen tasks.

That was a good call. It worked, too.

Thursday

Short version: Hoo boy.

Long version: This year's Thanksgiving meal included the following:

--Turkey


And there it is!

--Sourdough dressing

--Mashed potatoes

--Roasted carrots and parsnips


When A. dug what I thought were two parsnips, he actually found four. Thanksgiving bonus!

--Green salad with vinaigrette

--Cranberry sauce

--Gravy

--Pumpkin pie

--Pumpkin custard

--Lemon meringue pie

--Brownies

--Whipped cream


Dessert spread. The whipped cream was on a small table to the right.

I definitely made more dessert than I would typically, because we had a guest. Our priest joined us for dinner. I myself don't really love pie, so I thought it would be nice to have something not pie-related, in case he was also not a pie person. Brownies (these) are the fastest and easiest non-pie dessert I can make, and our guest did eat two brownies, so that was probably a good call.

The lemon meringue pie was really good, though. I'm not sure it was good enough to make the same fussy recipe next year, but it did have an excellent result. And A. assured me that I have found the pumpkin pie recipe I should use forever (this one, with a few modifications), so I guess that was a hit, too.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

5 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- stew, mashed potatoes, homemade bread, broccoli, corn.
Sat- homemade pizza with pepperoni or sausage, apple slices. The boys wanted cookies so I gave them the recipe and they did it themselves. Half choc chip, half m&m's. ( only 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the cupboard-the horror!) I had ramen.
Sun- chicken in gravy with carrots and potatoes, broccoli, homemade bread. I also made a chocolate cake in the instapot. I had to cook it in a bowl as i did not have a pan that could fit in the instapot. It was a little dense sponge but okay. The extra batter I put in a cupcake pan, which overflowed as they baked and got on the oven floor. I found a small springform pan in the thrift store Wed, so I will try again.
Mon- rainy, cold, and I was tired, so I used my emergency pizza from Domino's. Also had to order 3 others in order to make a meal, but free tastes delicious. Apple slices.
Tues- basketball game, so leftover pizza saved the day. Picky eater got grilled cheese and chips. Several others joined in on that. Brownies.
Wed- oh so tired, so bacon and French toast. Husband took his bacon for BLT's. Teen had made another batch of brownies after we went shopping. I think I had 2 bowls of ramen and broccoli. I needed the energy to bake pecan and pumpkin pies. I used too many pecans, ran out of corn syrup and needed to substitute honey, and almost forgot the spices in the pumpkin. I should have just gone to bed.
Thurs- started very early. Despite sitting in the basement sink for a day, the turkey was still rock hard. So I cooked it for an hour , then got the gizzard and neck out- which still had some ice on it. Made chocolate donut holes for breakfast- much rejoicing. Then I made buttermilk rolls (amazing and light), oatmeal bread ( hearty), mashed potatoes ( could have used more milk but tasty) , string beans, and emergency chocolate chip bars ( we had had brownies 2 days straight so I wanted a change),. Daughter brought vegan stuffing, roasted Brussel sprouts, and pumpkin cheesecake. A can of cranberry sauce completed the meal. Only 2 people eat it, so I'm not messing with homemade. I sent daughter home with leftover turkey and pie. I put the carcass in the freezer for another daughter who is big on broth and homemade soup. I like turkey but I hate dealing with it for more than 1 day.

You made the brownies after all!

Enjoy the weekend!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I did! I was feeling much less cranky about so much cooking by the actual day of Thanksgiving when most of the difficult things were done (pies), so it didn't seem like such a burden to get some brownies in the oven while I was roasting the parsnips and carrots. And it was so worth it to see the awe on my children's faces when they were presented with FOUR DIFFERENT DESSERTS. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday-Nan pizzas (meat lovers, onion, peppers and cheese, and a loaded veggie), green salad.

Monday-Potato soup, more green salad, bread sticks.

Tuesday-Steak bites, cheese quesadillas, refried beans, avocado halves.

Wednesday-Spent the day in the kitchen doing as much ahead of time stuff that I could and by the end of the day I was so not in the mood to stay in the kitchen a micro second longer so I just made caramelized onion (I had a ton done up for Thanksgiving) and havarti grilled cheese sandwiches which I served with oranges and grapes.

Thursday-Turkey breast, potatoes and gravy, baked yams with cashews, stuffing, craneberries, corn, sweet and spicy meatballs, baked beans, baked pumpkin, mushroom strudel, caramelized onion tart, fried cabbage apples and onions, rolls and chocolate pie for dessert. Yeah, its a huge meal but I'm not only cooking for my supremely traditionalist husband but my vegetarian daughter..makes for a few extra dishes.

Friday-Leftovers for days which is fine by me.

Happy weekend everyone!

Hope you kiddo is feeling ok. I know PT can be rough.

Mei said...

Simple food for the week prior to Thanksgiving but on the day, all bets were off.

Friday: Chimichangas and green salad
Saturday: Denver Omelet Muffins
Sunday: Steak and Potatoes, Green Beans, Green Salad
Monday: Baked Chicken Breast, Basmati rice, snow peas
Tuesday: Sugar Glazed Salmon, Lime Cilantro Rice
Wednesday: Vegetable Stir Fry
Thursday: Honey Glazed Cantonese Turkey, Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, Caesar Salad with Tuscan Kale, Curried Squash Soup with Red Curry Butter Croutons, Shrimp Toast, Pumpkin Dinner Rolls, Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake, Swirled Pumpkin Brownies

Kit said...

Friday-chicken and rice, peas
Saturday-vegetable beef soup, quesadillas, leftover Halloween candy
Sunday-shepherd's pie, cauliflower
Monday-miscellaneous leftovers
Tuesday-chicken enchiladas, coleslaw
Wednesday-cabbage soup, cheesy biscuits
Thursday-turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberries, kale, pumpkin pie, pecan pie. And a vegan meatloaf brought by a guest. Whew.