Sunday, December 31, 2023

Snapshots: A Christmas Church

I forgot to include this first photo in the last post about food. So let's just drop it right here, shall we?


All the things I froze or canned that were used in our Christmas Eve chili. 

I learned something from my eldest son this week. He had put a can of seltzer in the freezer to chill quickly and left it in there a little too long. It was too slushy to drink normally, but apparently, you can use a can opener to cut the top off of cans like this and it makes a very clean cut on the can.


The lid, on the other hand, is crazy sharp, so use caution if you try this.

I am still befuddled as to why only one part of that is sharp, but it is.

And last, my favorite thing from last week.

Our neighbor about half a mile away lives right next door to the old stone church in our mostly abandoned village. Every Christmas season, he sets up three spotlights on the side of the church. Due to the darkness that surrounds the church, this has the effect of making the church glow for literally miles.

I can see it out my kitchen window, and I love it. I had never gotten a photo of it, though, so I took the kids with me on a night walk to the church so I could take a picture of it.


Dramatic.


A closer look.

I didn't realize until after we had started walking that there was a full moon that night, so we didn't even need the flashlights we had brought.


That's the moon obscured by clouds in the sky, and on the ground are the spotlights. Kinda looks like the ground is on fire, though.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

5 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Exceptionally beautiful. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The church picture is absolutely beautiful! Happy New Year!
Linda

Lea said...

Stunning pictures, thank you.

Mei said...

Such a beautiful picture of the church. I envy you your view.

Tu mere said...

Absolutely spectacular. What a difference strategically placed spot lights and moonlight can do to make a normally abandoned looking church look Christmas beautiful out in what would be considered nowhere. How special for your neighbor to do that for all y’all. Wish I could see that from my window! Hope it’s still lit up this week for your brother and Mac to see.