Sunday, February 4, 2024

Snapshots: King Cake and Animals

Pretty random photos this week. But then, aren't they always?

When I was a kid, my grandmother in New Orleans always sent us a King Cake from the bakery near her house.

I haven't had one in many years, but this year, my mother sent us one. She sent it from a different bakery, and I was sort of surprised when I opened it. I don't remember the fondant icing being under sprinkles. The King Cake of my memory had nothing but a ton of colored granulated sugar on top. This one had fondant icing and sprinkles.


Huh.

We're going to have it for our Sunday dessert tonight, so we'll see if it tastes as I remember it. Then again, it could just be that my memory is faulty. That has been known to happen.

Another exciting event . . .


Seeds started!

I was a little late starting my cabbage and kohlrabi seeds, but I finally got them in their very classy starter containers yesterday. Sauerkraut ahoy! In, um, three months.

And now, a few morning shots, mostly featuring animals.


Hungry as a horse, indeed.


Two tiny lambs. The triplets, unfortunately, did not make it. That ewe was not a good mother, and we will not be keeping her.


A patriotic school bus.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Do the horse and pony get their food to go? It looks like they're at a take out window.
Your sky- heavenly!

Mei said...

I was warned of the high mortality rate of lambs, still, I was not prepared for the reality of it. I love lambing season but hate it at the same time. I do not believe I will ever return to keeping sheep.

Karen. said...

I think I'm not gardening much this year. If things work out we are moving the garage from its current spot to the spot where my garden has been, and I'm worried that the amount of things we have planned will exceed the time I have to work outside as it is, so no new garden this year.

Our oldest made a garden planter in shop class and that might be the answer for this year. Since it is maybe 18 inches by 6 feet or so, the produce will be significantly reduced.

As a result I think we'll grow fun things — going to try pineapple for sure. Practically everything at the store produce section has seeds, after all.

All that is a long way of saying perhaps I should get seeds started if I have such exotic goals.

Anonymous said...

Love King Cake! Especially from Manny Randazzo’s original bakery in NOLA. I did see King Cake from another Louisiana bakery in my local Kroger store here in Kentucky!