Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Flower Season Has Begun

Actually, flower season started a lot earlier this year, thanks to the bulbs we planted in the old mechanic's pit. The first to bloom were of course the crocuses, although those aren't cutting flowers. I like to have some kind of flower in the middle of my dining room table as much as possible. 

The first flowers I could cut and put in a vase on the table were the daffodils. Next were the tulips. And now . . .


Decorative alliums and an apricot branch for greenery.

The lilacs are also blooming right now. We planted lilac bushes a couple of years ago, and while they are still alive, they are several years from having any blossoms on them. Luckily, there are many giant old lilac bushes at abandoned houses. I helped myself to a few from an abandoned house in the village.


They don't last long in a vase, but the perfume coming from them is incredible for the couple of days they do last.

One of the children also found some flowering bushes at an abandoned home site in our ghost village and brought me a branch. I don't know what it is, but I like the flowers.


This is taller than I like my table arrangements to be, so it's on the bookcase in the living room.

Soon there will be silver nightshade and purple alfalfa flowers, then sunflowers and sage, and we'll just keep going as long as there are any kind of usable flowers outside. 

My table should always have something colorful on it for the next several months. And that makes me very happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golden currant?

Anonymous said...

Love the Lilac's.
Linda

Mable said...

https://wapo.st/3QCRoQf This article from the Washington Post had a small section on Zuni waffle gardens that reminded me of how you use rocks to shield some of your plants.

Anonymous said...

The scrubby yellow flowered plant had Mr stymied, but the leaves said currant to me, and further investigation suggests that the anonymous comment is exactly right. Keep track of it-- you might be able to make jelly. Most currants have enough pectin to jell without additional pectin.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I am definitely going to keep an eye on those bushes. I will be so excited if they are really golden currants. Jelly!

And thank you, Mable, for the information about waffle gardens. I had never heard that term, but it is indeed similar to what we've come up with to conserve water. The biggest difference is that we make larger cells, rather than having a cell for each plant.

Gemma's person said...

Do the yellow flowered ones smell like cloves by chance ,if so it is a clove currant.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P.: No, they just smell sweet. Not like cloves.

Tu mere said...

Awesome there are such beautiful flowers to just pick. Good season if you discount the wind. Oh yeah, but the wind is there every season, so not worth mentioning.