Friday, June 28, 2024

Friday Food: A Daily-Dessert Revolt

Friday 

Short version: Pork and sauerkraut, cornbread, kohlrabi sticks, rice pudding

Long version: This was the last really cool day we had in our forecast, so I took advantage of it by cooking a pork shoulder in the oven for a long time. I had a can of beer that had gone flat to dump over the pork while it was cooking, along with sauerkraut. When the pork was done, I defatted and reduced the juices and added extra sauerkraut. It was very tasty.

Rice pudding because the oven was on so long for the pork. As always.

Saturday

Short version: Tuna/salmon patties, mashed potatoes, fresh peas, ice cream

Long version: This was the day the kids shelled all those peas for me.


Bowl o' peas.

As I expected, they were quite starchy, and probably should have been simmered longer, but about half the family loved them. A pretty standard percentage.

Everyone loves the tuna/salmon patties, and there was much sadness that I only made six of them. 


In my defense, they were six very large patties.

They were cheered up by giant bowls of ice cream, though.

Sunday

Short version: Fried pork/sauerkraut/rice, pan-fried sweet potatoes, ice cream

Long version: Leftover pork fried with more sauerkraut and leftover rice. Simple, but surprisingly tasty.

Poppy had asked about sweet potatoes out of the blue the other day, so I bought some at the store. I prefer them roasted in the oven, but it was too hot for that, so I just cooked them in a skillet on the stove.

A couple of the children very seriously told me that we need to stop having ice cream so much, claiming that it wasn't special anymore and we should save it for Sundays.

Well, if you insist.

Monday

Short version: Lamb, leftover mashed potatoes, sauerkraut

Long version: I had thawed a boned leg roast, but didn't want to tie it up rolled and roast it. So instead, I marinated it flat, then browned it that way before slicing it. Then I returned it to the pan to finish cooking. This is a good, fast way to get it cooked.


Second time in the pan.

If I slice it before browning the whole piece, I find the slices release too much moisture to brown. That's why I brown first and then slice. Meat doesn't dump juice all over the cutting board either if it's sliced when it's still raw inside.

I had made some oatmeal/peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies a couple of days before to be the snack cookies for the week, and I asked after dinner if anyone wanted one. "OH NOOOO," wailed the children. "Not dessert every night!"

Guess not, then. 

Tuesday

Short version: Leftover pork and rice, pork sandwiches, coleslaw

Long version: I didn't have enough of the pork and rice for everyone, but I did have another piece of the plain pork still. I took that out, and remembered the child who had asked for pork in a sandwich last time I had some left over.

So a couple of kids had pork sandwiches. Both chose to have them with barbecue sauce this time.

I did not offer dessert.

Wednesday

Short version: Ground bull burritos, kohlrabi sticks with ranch dip

Long version: I added canned black beans to the ground bull, along with the rest of the onion from making the coleslaw that of course I had already cooked, plus onion and garlic powder, cumin, paprika, chile powder, vinegar, and a little salsa.

The children were very pleased with this. Kids just really like burritos with ground beef. 

They also really like the kohlrabi. There is one more in the garden, but it's really small, so the kohlrabi is pretty much done for the year. But the basil is just starting up . . .

Thursday

Short version: Chicken and spaghetti with pesto, carrot sticks with ranch dip

Long version: The basil really took off recently, and the plants are just big enough for a small batch of pesto. Much rejoicing.

I used the pesto on both the spaghetti and on the chicken, which were just breasts that I chunked up and fried, then added the pesto and Parmesan to it. I kept the chicken separate from the spaghetti, since A. and I don't eat the pasta. He had his chicken with bread and butter. I had mine with leftover coleslaw.

Unfortunately, I was rushing out the door to pick up a child right as I was trying to finish up dinner, so I totally forgot that I meant to take out some of the pound of spaghetti I cooked for something else later. This meant that I did not have nearly enough pesto for the pasta I had cooked. I added butter, garlic powder, and salt, but it was still pretty bland. Boo.

Refrigerator check:


Lots of leftover bland spaghetti. And cheese. Perhaps I will combine the two . . .

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

6 comments:

mbmom11 said...


Fri- still hot and miserable, but wanted something different. So I put my deep fryer on the back steps and made chicken strips and fries. Some leftover pork chops too. Apples.
Sat- late afternoon swim so everyone foraged when we got home.
Sun- heat wave broke! But I didn't feel like cooking, so hot dogs, chips, fruit. I had cheerios later.
Mon- ditto. But I think I had ramen.
Tues- chicken breast and hamburgers on the grill, some rice, leftover chips, pineapple.
Wed- a cool night inspired me to make beef stew, homemade bread, carrots, cauliflower, mashed potatoes. A nice changed from grilled meat.
Thurs- another nice weather day, so pasta, sausage, broccoli. I also took some cherries from the freezer and made a cherry cobbler. Husband loved it, though the biscuit dough was too wet and didn't crisp up nicely.

Dessert every night here, with plenty of ice cream and freezer pops. My kids never turn down dessert.
Enjoy the weekend

Anonymous said...

Funny that your kids put a halt to dessert.
I would like to have your recipe for tuna/salmon patties. You probably have mentioned it before, but of course I didn't write it down.
I make salmon patties but have never mixed tuna with them.
Thanks!
Linda

Anonymous said...

The discussions of dessert are hysterical!

Kit said...

Friday-this was towards the end of our camping trip and it was hot. We had hot dogs, potato chips, carrot sticks, and marshmallows (not toasted - too hot for a fire).
Saturday-I meant to have spam and potatoes, but it was the hottest day yet and too hot to cook potatoes in any way. So I sliced the spam and fried it on the griddle with some leftover hamburger buns. I only had to stand over the stove for five minutes and I was told it was the best dinner ever. Go figure.
Sunday-home and the air conditioning was wonderful. Enchiladas from the freezer and frozen peas, popsicles.
Monday-eggs scrambled with cheese, spinach, and corn. Baked potatoes.
Tuesday-pork and gravy from the freezer, noodles, coleslaw
Wednesday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, zucchini
Thursday-beef and gravy (from the freezer), fresh sourdough bread, salad, strawberry shortcake. Using up all my nice freezer meals, but unpacking while packing for another trip next week is tricky.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: As always,I don't measure, but I'll try to approximate: One 12-ounce can tuna, one can salmon with bones and skin removed, two eggs, 1/3 cup coarse bread crumbs (not fine, mine are homemade, so they're much bigger), 1/4 cup mayonnaise, tablespoon whole grain mustard, 2 teaspoons dried dill, pepper.

Kit:"home and the air conditioning was wonderful." Welcome home, and enjoy not sweating. :-)

Claire said...

Can I suggest frittata di spaghetti for your leftover pasta? It's similar to spanish tortilla but with leftover spaghetti instead