Tuesday, July 28, 2026

And Here We Are

It's sometimes handy that I've been writing here for 18 (!) years. It allows me to read older posts and shake my head with amusement.

Like this one from 13 (!) years ago, in which I discussed how much food I was going to need to make when the boys were older.

At that time, the boys in question were only the older two children. I didn't yet know I would have two more. And I really didn't have any concept of how much food would be consumed in our house 13 years from that time. I mean, kind of, in the abstract, but in reality? It was literally unimaginable then.

I am currently in the phase with one boy where I ask him every morning how many eggs he wants for breakfast and he asks me in return, "Is there going to be anything besides eggs?"


This was a morning that also included peanut butter toast, hence only five eggs. 

If he was given all the food he could eat, he would literally eat two full breakfasts, two full lunches, and dinner. Plus dessert. Since I am not nice enough to be cooking all day long, however, he has to content himself with snacks in lieu of the extra breakfast and lunch. And with staging elaborate death by starvation scenes every day at 4 p.m. when he's trying to convince me he's not going to make it another hour to dinner.

And this is just the one child. His younger brother will be right there with him soon, I'm sure.

We're just gonna keep ramping this up until they start leaving, I guess. And then A. and I are going to eat nothing but beans and tortillas forever more.*

* That is obviously a joke, but I certainly will not be making so much bread, granola, yogurt, etc., to say nothing of the full meals.

2 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Teens eat so much- boys and girls. Growth spurts and active lifestyles. On a typical morning, we go through 6-10 eggs. I didn't cook eggs so much for my older kids ( they did toast and cereal typically - three bowls for my junior high guy at the time). However, the picky eater in the younger set did better at school when he has protein in the morning, so sausage and eggs appeared more and more.
I think eggs will always be around for me, but no cereals or cinnamon rolls.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah, my eldest was never an eater like this really, so I'm just coming into it now with the second. And the third is going to be an even bigger eater than his brother, so I expect a lot more food in the next four years.