Friday
Short version: Omelet, leftover pasta and pesto, leftover baked beans and rice, carrot sticks
Long version: I divvied out the pasta and beans and rice depending on who likes what the most, and then A. made an omelet to fill everything in. He put parsley, feta cheese, and one last small garlic scape in it, and it was very good.
Saturday
Short version: Hamburger steaks with milk and onion gravy, more pasta and pesto, more rice, frozen corn, leftover cookies
Long version: We had exactly enough Mexican wedding cookies from the previous day's playdate for everyone to have two cookies. How satisfying.
Sunday
Short version: Leftovers in a skillet, cheater's fondue
Long version: A. and eldest were gone, and there was enough of the rice, chopped hamburger steaks, gravy, and corn to fry in a skillet for the three children at home. I had actually saved all of this in a bowl when I was putting away dinner the night before, thinking it would be enough for another meal. The middle son found it when he was investigating for lunch, and when I took it from him, saying it was for dinner, he expressed doubt that there would be enough food.
You doubt your mother, son? Behold, Mom Magic.
I chopped the hamburger steaks, added some more corn plus some milk to the skillet to re-heat everything, and then stirred in grated cheese.
I had a salad with deli ham and provolone in it.
I hadn't made a Sunday dessert. In such times, melted chocolate chips and a bit of coconut oil to make a very fast fondue, with marshmallows for dipping, stand in for a homemade dessert. The kids actually love this, and were very happy to see it. There is something exciting about having your very own (small) bowl of melted chocolate.
And I didn't have to turn on the oven or the stove. Happiness all around.
Monday
Short version: Freezer cottage pie
Long version: This is not at all the sort of food that I want to be eating when it's 80 degrees in the kitchen, but I had a cottage pie in an 8"x8" pan I had frozen last time I made cottage pie. I hadn't used it yet because it wouldn't have been enough for the whole family. It was enough for the four of us at home, though, and it just needed to be heated up in the microwave.
Everyone was sweating while they were eating it, however. Definitely not a hot-weather dish.
Tuesday
Short version: Baked beans and hamburger, rice, raw cabbage
Long version: I had thawed one two-pound package of ground beef, which isn't really enough for all of us unless I stretch it in some way. I did it this time by adding two cans of pinto beans and then all the things I use to make baked beans to make it all saucy. And then I served it over rice.
Wednesday
Short version: Leftovers, cookies
Long version: I stretched the ground beef so successfully that there was enough of it for the four people who were eating. Enough leftover rice, too.
The cookies were chocolate chip ones I made in the morning. I made straight chocolate chip cookies, with no peanut butter, oats, etc., and of course my children loved them. I don't make them like that much because those are 100% a dessert and I usually try to make cookies that are more like a snack, but every once in awhile they get lucky.
Thursday
Short version: Ground beef and lamb gyros on homemade sourdough pitas, collard green salad, no-bake cheesecake with strawberry-rhubarb sauce
Long version: This was our farewell dinner for our priest's youngest brother, who is going to college next month. He's eaten at our house many times since he started living here in October, but he couldn't choose what he wanted for his last meal with us. So I chose for him.
He can only eat sourdough bread, which is why I made the sourdough pitas. I would have made lamb roast for the gyros, but I'm out, so I used one bag of ground lamb and two packages of ground beef and then spiced it the same way I would a lamb roast (garlic, onion, thyme, cumin, paprika). I also made hummus and yogurt sauce (strained yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper) and put out lettuce, tomato, pickled onions, and feta cheese for toppings.
I wouldn't typically make a collard salad of the sort that I typically eat for guests, but I know these two guests really like collard greens. I also know they like beets, so the salad was finely chopped and manhandled collards in a maple syrup vinaigrette with toasted pecans, pickled beets, pickled onions, and feta cheese. It was really good.
I used this recipe for the cheesecake and made some strawberry-rhubarb sauce for anyone who wanted it. Which was everyone but me, actually.
Refrigerator check:


No comments:
Post a Comment