Friday, August 28, 2026

Friday Food: Many Leftovers

Friday 

Short version: Pintos and rice, cornbread, cucumber salad, apple/pear crisp with vanilla ice cream

Long version: I used the pinto beans I had cooked earlier in the week to make something like red beans--roux, onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomato--and served that over rice.

The cucumber salad was just cucumber with leftover ranch dressing and pickled onions.

I used one quart jar of apples and one of pears for the crisp, leaving me with only one more quart jar of canned apples from last year. I don't think I'm going to have any apples to can this year, unless they come from someone who lives sort of far away. All the fruit here got frosted. Even the apples. Sadness.

Saturday

Short version: Leftovers, summer squash hooray!

Long version: I had enough steak for everyone, as well as enough leftover rice and mashed potatoes to divvy out. Good leftovers make dinner so easy.

The summer squash came from the lady the older boys work for. All I did with it was slice it and cook it in olive oil with garlic, and then a little bit of tomato sauce from the can I had opened for the beans the day before. So good.

Sunday

Short version: Barbecue ribs, American potato salad, coleslaw, pots de creme

Long version: I bought a couple of racks of pork ribs when they were on sale awhile ago, and then A. bought two more when he was at the store about a week ago. So I really needed to cook some ribs.

I first cooked them in a low oven, covered, and rubbed with various spices and brown sugar. I put them in around 6 a.m. and took them out when we got home from church about 9 a.m. At dinnertime, I started a fire in the grill and actually grilled the ribs with barbecue sauce on them.

American potato salad=russet potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, hard boiled eggs, diced dill pickles.

This coleslaw.

And this pots de creme.


Summer plate.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, cookies

Long version: There were some leftover ribs, quite a lot of leftover potato salad and coleslaw, and also pinto beans and rice. I heated all of this up and let everyone choose their dinners.

Tuesday

Short version: Beef and bean burritos, green salad with ranch dressing, watermelon

Long version: I made slightly less-lazy taco meat with the ground beef and a can of pinto beans by using fresh onion and garlic, plus tomato sauce and spices. As opposed to just dumping salsa in there to serve as the tomato/onion/garlic part.


It looks very labor-intensive, right? Ahem.

Wednesday

Short version: Pizzas, carrot sticks with ranch dip

Long version: The coolest day of the week, which means the day to bake bread. Also the day to steal some of the dough to make pizza. One was pepperoni, one was vegetables. This time the vegetables were pickled onions, bell peppers, and finely diced collard greens.

Thursday

Short version: Different leftovers, butterscotch pudding

Long version: There was enough leftover pizza for all the kids to have some, and then A. and whoever wanted any had corn tortillas with cheese and the taco meat. 

I made the pudding because a child informed me in the morning that the milk was starting to go off. Slightly off is still good enough to make pudding. A nice treat for the end of the second week of school.

Refrigerator check:


Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

mbmom11 said...

The standard slips even lower week:
Fri- I was tired so chicken strips and fries.
Sat- grilled cheese and apple slices
Sun- rotisserie chicken, barely enough rice, broccoli , did I make rolls? Maybe.
Mon- ? Pasta?
Tues- grilled cheese again, apple slices. In my defense, one boy has XC, so he and husband were out later. So a big meal wasn't sensible.
Wed- warmed up chicken from freezer, enough rice, pineapple, apple slices. Picky eater grabbed nuggets and fries on his way home from work.
Thurs- I was going to make BLT for husband, but soneone ate the cherry tomatoes I got from a colleague. So grilled cheese with or without bacon, apples, pineapple, fries. Third time's the charm! Band boy got home very late after-school, so he had a hot dog and string cheese and pineapple before running back for band practice. Ten minute turn around! Luckily we live only a mile from the HS.
Have a great weekend!

wolfek said...

I saved the recipes. Thanks! I enjoyed reading your older blogs too.

Kit said...

Friday-day 14 of a grueling 16 day camping trip during which it rained 12 days. Rotisserie chicken (God bless Walmart, it's everywhere, even almost the middle of nowhere), stir-fried with frozen vegetables. Doughnuts.
Saturday-hot dogs and corn on the cob. Oreos.
Sunday-home and more rain, but I don't care any more! Meat pies and fudge ripple ice cream.
Monday-blts except I hadn't been to the store yet so no L. Just bts.
Tuesday-tomato-feta cheese-pasta salad
Wednesday-ham and eggs, oven fried potatoes, tomatoes
Thursday-chicken enchiladas, salad, ice cream sandwiches

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Glad you made it through. And glad Walmart and their rotisserie chickens were there for you. (It isn't here, which I guess isn't the middle of nowhere, just . . . nowhere. :-) )

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I hope they work out for you!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

School schedules in full swing, I see. Here, too.

jeanie said...

"The standard slips even lower week" -- now there's a legend for my days. 🤣