Poppy's best friend comes home with her from school every Monday to play until her mom comes to pick her up after football practice. This works out very well for the girls, who are in different grades and would otherwise not see each other much.
This means that her friend eats dinner with us every Monday. Last night, we had steak. Before dinner, I asked her friend if she likes her steak more well-done or more rare. She said more well-done, and she accordingly got one of the thinner pieces that wasn't very red.
As I was choosing her piece of steak, I remembered when I was a guest at dinner at one of my best friend's houses, in high school. Her dad was grilling steak, and he asked me how I liked it. Well-done, I replied. The steak he gave me was SO FAR from well-done. It was, in fact, very bloody.
Her dad was from Texas, which is probably why he considered a steak that was bleeding all over the plate to be well-done. Or maybe he was trying to teach me a lesson, since people who like their steaks rare tend to feel disdain for those of us who do not.
I of course ate the steak to be polite, but I didn't enjoy it.
Most of my family likes their steak pretty rare, which requires some deliberate attention on my part so I don't overcook it. Poppy agrees with me, though, and doesn't like bloody meat, so I usually cook one piece a little more for us.
We never all agree, as usual.
So tell me! How do you like your steak?
4 comments:
My dad taught us to ask for medium well - cooked through with barest touch of pink- as he knew we'd not enjoy rare but well-done could easily get too dry. I'd rather have too dry over hardly done.
If I'm cooking, I usually get everything medium to medium well. Easier!
Not a fan of seeing blood when I eat! We used to tease my sister that she just wanted her steak warmed up.
Yeah, I ask for medium well now too, it seems to mollify those who dislike well done meat to at least hear the word "medium." :-)
The worst is when the blood on the plate soaks into potatoes or whatever. No thank you.
Post a Comment