I am speaking here of dyeing clothing a new color. That is why I made the distinction in the title. Otherwise it might be a little concerning.
Nothing to worry about, though! It was just my first experience with clothes dyeing!
The reason I decided to try dyeing clothing with permanent dye was because we have another wedding coming up. This time it's my niece's wedding in Vermont. Two of my children are coming with me*, including Poppy.
This is a fall wedding, which means the colors appropriate for wedding apparel are darker than Poppy typically wears. She didn't have a dress that was formal enough and of a dark enough color for this wedding.
She did, however, have quite a few formal white dresses, thanks to the several First Communion dresses that were passed down to me. Of course, she couldn't wear a white dress to a wedding that is not her own.
This is what gave me the idea to dye one of the dresses. They were free, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't work.
Accordingly, I asked Poppy what color she wanted--blue--and ordered a bottle of dye.
I dicovered that one of my friends used to dye clothes from thrift stores frequently, and she had several helpful tips for me. The first was to make sure that I got dye appropriate for the dress material. In this case, that was polyester. The dye for natural materials is very different from the dye for man-made materials, so it's important to get the right one.
She also said to get the dress wet before submerging it in the dye, as that will make for a much more even absorption of the dye water. Made sense.
I did not want to be messing around with permanent dye in my kitchen, so I decided to do it outside. This meant I needed nice weather and the time to figure it out. Also, it had to be a day when Poppy would be here to help me. Of course.
I decided this past Saturday that we were going to just go ahead.
This is when I read the directions on the bottle of dye.
Yikes.
It's not just dunking the clothing in some colored water and voila. The water has to be kept at a steady 200 degrees for at least 30 minutes. The clothing has to be continuously agitated in that water for the entire time. It's sort of a pain.
I was not anticipating needing to keep the water at a high temperature like that. I still didn't want to have to do this in my kitchen. Luckily, A. had the idea to use the camping stove I gave him for our anniversary, so I could keep the pot of dye water hot. I wanted to set it up somewhere I could just dump the water in the ground when I was done, without having to carry an extremely heavy pot any distance.
A. helped me set all this up, even building a little wall around the camp stove to make sure the wind didn't extinguish it.
I was a little leery of using a cooking pot to dye clothing, but I didn't see much choice, so I used my pressure cooker/canner, which is the biggest pot I have. It's also stainless steel. I figured that was more likely to scrub clean.
So! Water to 200 degrees on the stove inside (so as not to use up the small fuel canisters from the camp stove), then hauled outside to the camp stove. Per instructions, one teaspoon of dish soap added (more or less), then the dye, and finally, the dress.
We used a broom handle to stir it. Still attached to the broom, so of course the handle is now dyed blue, but it's my outside broom, so it doesn't matter.
Poppy and I took ten-minute turns stirring.
* The other two aren't, because one boy is competing at the FFA national convention that weekend in Indianapolis and another had a football game. A. is staying home to manage all of that.
**We did amuse ourselves by saying she could be Smurfette for Halloween if she dyed herself blue.


5 comments:
Good job with dyeing the dress.
Linda
Wow! It turned out great!
I love the color! Smart to do it outside!
Poppy should be proud of her hard work.
My daughter once wanted to dye sheets gray/black? Tie-dye and proudly did the whole routine. Unfortunately, she did buy the wrong dye for polyester sheets, so all that came out after a wash was a few small smudges of gray.
You go girls! Think about how much money you saved!
The dress looks gorgeous. I have dyed many, many clothes. My husband has a lot of black shirts and pants, and I periodically re-dye them when they begin to fade. I either use a big pot on the stove (for a single item) or my washing machine (for multiple items). It always works well.
Post a Comment