Friday
Short version: Fish patties, mashed potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette
Long version: We had a lot of cans of fishy things hanging around. I buy 12-ounce cans of chunk white tuna; we got a bunch of small cans of chunk light tuna from commodities and the random boxes of food they're started sending home with the kids from school; and I had one old can of salmon in the pantry.
Sounds like fish patties to me!
Saturday
Short version: Western wedding food
Long version: The day we went to the ranch wedding and ate ribs and stuff.
Sunday
Short version: Italian sausage, pasta with pesto, radishes, pots de creme
Long version: The basil was trying to flower again and needed trimming, so I made pesto and then built the rest of the meal around that.
Pots de creme because I didn't feel like baking. Again. It's a theme in hot weather. I had just made it a couple of Sundays previous, but no one minded eating it again. Plus, Poppy helped me make it this time and one of her brothers helped me make it last time, so I'm passing down a very important family recipe.
Monday
Short version: Beans and rice with leftovers, canned peaches
Long version: Someone we know incubated a bunch of eggs and ended up with a lot of roosters. She asked us if we'd like them. We can always use home-raised chickens, but this was a LOT of roosters. Eleven, to be exact.
Butchering that many chickens is no fun. Especially when it's hot. Blood and feathers everywhere, the disgusting wet-dog smell of scalded feathers . . . yuck.
Anyway. We did it this day, and then no one was all that enthused about dinner. Certainly not for chicken. Plus, I was exhausted and in no mood to cook.
I made it easy on myself by thawing leftover pinto beans and mixing them with some rice I cooked. I also added the last diced-up link and a half of Italian sausage from the night before.
No vegetables, just canned peaches for a fruit/dessert.
Tuesday
Short version: Bacon cheeseburger sandwiches, cucumbers, ice cream
Long version: I only used one package of ground beef to make burger patties, but I made them as thin as I could and then gave the bigger eaters two patties on their sandwiches. The bacon helped to stretch them. I hadn't made buns, so I just cut the fresh bread I had made the day before.
I had been to Walmart this day, where I bought a gallon of Neopolitan ice cream, more than half of which was eaten after dinner.
Wednesday
Short version: Chicken-fried pork chops and gravy, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut
Long version: It turned out to be lucky that one boy was sick and didn't eat, because I only had five pork chops. Normally, I wouldn't eat one, but since there was an extra one, I had half of that. They sure are good cooked this way.




2 comments:
Out of town edition:
Fri- after work, I hopped in the car and drove 6+ hours to my daughter's house. Where she fed me homemade pizza and birthday cake. My granddaughter did not partake.
Sat- actual birthday spent holding my granddaughter, while daughter did a 24 hr shift and son-in- law did tons of chores. He cooked some pasta and roasted cauliflower. I had mine with a little butter and salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.
Sun- daughter back, but everyone was tired, so she made pancakes, eggs, and sausage. She has the leftover cauliflower at some point in the afternoon. They still had cake as well. Granddaughter didn't want to nap much, so much playing, walking, and snuggling. Boy, do I love babies!
On the home front, I had bought luncheon meat, hot dogs, and plenty of other easy food for the people at home. ( it was very very hot on the weekend, so no cooking planned.) No one starved.
Mon- I drove home, stopping at Sam's club on my way through big city, and arrived to find the house in one piece. I made pasta, garlic bread, and sausage, broccoli, and they had made another birthday cake.for me.
Tues- out at a XC meet with youngest-so nothing special. Teen cooked chicken strips and fries. Pineapple. Runner boy had hot dogs and applesauce on our return.
Wed- feeling guilty about the scrappy meals the family has suffered through, and given a cooler day, I cooked eye round roast beef. Mashed potatoes, broccoli, gravy, and warmed up some clearance French bread from Walmart. Husband made sandwiches with it, but most of the boys ate the meat plain. I ate an embarrassing amoubt- I love roast beef.
Thurs- husband out for work, so I took birthday money and got pizza from Dominos. HS son had been craving it, so easy to fulfill!
Have a great weekend!
Happy birthday! Baby time is the best birthday present, even if you did have to drive so far.
Post a Comment