Sunday, October 11, 2026

Snapshots: A Sleepy Butterfly

Our Sundays start pretty early, because Mass at our church is at 8 a.m. We don't have time for anything elaborate for breakfast before we leave, so this is the one day of the week that the kids have cereal. I do make a second breakfast when we get home around 9 a.m., though. Last Sunday, I made biscuits. I set out all the available biscuit toppings on the table when they were ready.


Butter, honey, plum butter (thanks, sis!), strawberry preserves, and apricot jam. There were enough biscuits for everyone to try every one of these things. On separate biscuits, I mean.

I recently used the last of the rendered tallow I had in the refrigerator. I need to render some more of the many pounds of suet in the freezer. It's difficult to find the motivation to do this sometimes, as it's a tedious and greasy job, but this jar of tallow I saw at the grocery store is a pretty good motivator.


Twenty dollars for a pint certainly made me think WOW!!, but not because I was amazed at the low price.

This is the time of year the Monarch butterflies are migrating to their warmer overwintering regions. I'm not sure if we're on the route for the butterflies that are going to Mexico, or the ones going to California, but in any case, there are a LOT of Monarchs floating around right now. I spied this one in the planter outside the bank last week.


A pretty rest stop during a long trip.

Jasper hasn't taken any long trips lately, but he still feels the need to rest.


Sleepy dog.

We are definitely coming to the end of fresh flower season. We could get a freeze at any time now, which means every week might be the last week for flowers. But for this week, I still have some.


On the table (look at those wee sunflowers).


And on the bookcase.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You take lovely pictures, the butterfly in flowers is really pretty. We are wishing for some cooler weather, but not too cold. Your food always looks good, I love to read your posts. Have a great Sunday.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I feel like the light in New Mexico makes it impossible to take bad pictures, even for a complete novice like me. Thanks for reading, and I hope you get your cooler weather!

mbmom11 said...

The butterfly in the petunia- such a great shot! My petunias are dying- we keep getting hot days after a few cool ones, so I think the plants just give up in confusion.