Monday, August 4, 2008

Are You a Follower?

You know those people who can go into the kitchen, rummage around in their cabinets and fridge for five minutes, and then spontaneously create a meal from found ingredients that is not only edible, but actually inspires praise?

I am not one of those people.

I like recipes. I almost always cook from a recipe. Or at least, I consult recipes before I begin cooking so I have some idea of what I'm doing. This is not to say that I follow recipes blindly and slavishly--there's often a lot of substituting. Not honey-for-soy-sauce kind of substituting, but relatively like ingredients substituting. It goes something like this in my head:

"Hmm, we have a lot of sausage. And I really need to start using the collard greens in the garden. Sounds to me like a pasta sauce. Of some kind. But do I add onions, or just garlic? Do I need to add some kind of creamy thing as a binder? Do I have to cook the sausage first, then take it out of the pan and cook the greens? CAN I OBSESS ANY MORE OVER A STUPID MEAL?"

Yes, it turns out I can. I have this fantastic cookbook I got from the library that has hundreds of recipes for using garden vegetables. I think it's called "Serving Up the Harvest," but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look. ANYWAY, I thought I remembered some kind of pasta sauce in there with sausage and greens. Once I have the recipe, it goes something like this in my kitchen:

So, I have this recipe that tells me to first cook the sausage in olive oil. Check. Then add three cloves garlic and 1.5 pounds chopped Swiss chard. I like garlic, so that becomes four cloves, the Swiss chard becomes collard greens, and who honestly weighs shit for a recipe? I have no idea how many pounds of greens were in there. I'm such a rebel. But wait! I have leftover beet greens in the fridge. They might make the sauce disturbingly pink, but those Food Network prisses are always yapping about color on the plate, right? Then the recipe called for tomatoes and chicken broth. Well, guess who has tomatoes in the garden now! One and a half cups? How much is that? Screw it, I'll just toss in all the Roma tomatoes I've harvested so far. Chicken broth? No, do not have. So let's just put in some water. Oh wait! There's white wine in the fridge! That'll work, right? A glug or two of that down my throat, and then into the sauce. The recipe gives an actual measured amount for black pepper? Who does that? I'll just grind until I don't want to anymore. Then add salt.

And there it is! A meal that follows the spirit of the recipe if not the actual recipe.*

Despite all my deviations though, I still always want to have something to consult. It makes me feel safe. Also, if it all goes horribly wrong, I have someone else to blame it on.

So tell me: are you a recipe follower, or a fearless inventor in the kitchen?

* In case you were wondering, it turned out really well. But that might have had more to do with the sausage than with my awesome kitchen skillz. Sausage makes everything better.

12 comments:

SaraPMcC said...

Not a follower, which is why I'd rather cook than bake. Recipes make me nervous, like I'm going to leave something out, or I'm not going to measure correctly and then screw the whole thing up.

Tina Post said...

I try really hard to make a recipe from the recipe the first time, so that I have some baseline against which to substitute/invent later. That being said, the better I get at cooking the less I actually manage to follow said recipe to the end.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Word up to all three of you.

To Kristin, no, I never measure pepper. Fresh-ground is so much better, and I'll be damned if I'm going to grind it into a funnel so I can get it into a spoon, and now I have to clean a funnel and a spoon that otherwise would still be sitting, clean, in the drawer. [pant ... pant ... okay, sorry]

And Sara, I've said the same about baking about a thousand times. First, it feels like a college chemistry lab, and that was not my favorite class. (Understatement.) Second, anything that calls for an eighth of a teaspoon of anything is way too damn fiddly.

And c, I'm a big fan of having a scapegoat.

Anonymous said...

I also need a recipe as a baseline...but I am getting more and more comfortable w/ being creative and adding ingredients. Which is precisely why I don't really care for baking. Everything has to be so damn exact! Plus, far be it from me to cheat the local bakery out of my business.

Leslie said...

I'm relatively new to the kitchen, and so it's absolutely necessary for me to follow recipes. In time, I hope to be able to throw in a little of this and a little of that - but for the sake of having a meal come together, I'm just not there yet.

SaraPMcC said...

Drew, now you've made me realize why I must hate measuring so much. Chemistry class. Oh, the horror!

Tina Post said...

I must defend baking, even though last night's popovers did not, erm, "pop." A well-executed baking session might be as close to heaven as we can get on earth. The yummy smells! The abundance of fat and carbs! The crackle of a perfect breadcrust! I love it all.

Full disclosure: I liked chemistry too. Except for finding the moles of things. Because that was actually math, at which I have no skill.

Anonymous said...

Math has moles? I'm guessing it's nothing like a beauty mark. I would love to be creative in the kitchen but if i want my food to actually taste good i need the darn recipe and a backseat cooker. Although, I am making some progress in cooking by myself. hopefully when i hit my 50's i can go wild.

MsPicketToYou said...

lately: i have been a leftover/take out person.

have totally lost my mojo in the kitchen. but when i have it, i totally make it up. find out the basics -- what temperature, technique etc -- and then wing it. this works out about 60 percent of the time. the other 40? we starve. cause its THAT bad.

Sweet Bird said...

I'm a fence sitter when it comes to recipes. Usually when I want to make something I look at a few different recipes, get a general idea of what's going on, and then do whatever the hell I feel like.

Baking = Scary. It's gotten better since I bought a scale, but it's still a little nerve wracking. I've never been that great at following directions for anything in life(evident by my bookcase leaning 5 inches to the left).

It's me said...

Sweet Bird, good on the scale. It made a big difference in my breadbaking. We're very arid where I'm at so things always need more moisture. (Or that's what I tell myself).

Not a follower. Except in canning. Where I'm a complete and total freak because I'm afraid I'll kill somebody by not having the proper acidity level to boiling water can. Or too much. or whatever it is.

FinnyKnits said...

I totally made that from the same cookbook. Weird.

You might be pleased to notice that I am a total recipe bastardizer, too.

It is a proud title.