Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bookish

I must make a confession: I hate reading "classic" literature. I find most classics incredibly boring and tedious (apologies to the MiL, who is an English professor at a very good university and reads this stuff for fun--I'm a great disappointment as a daughter-in-law). The real irony here is that I was an English major. A. calls me the worst-read English major in the world, and it is possible he's right. I took this one class in college that required us to read a novel a week. I didn't finish a single one, and yet I still managed to get an A in the class. I think that speaks more to the low standards at that school and my ability to bullshit than to my great intelligence.

But despite my unwillingness to read Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" to the bitter end, I do still read every single day. And what do I read? Mostly the same things over and over again, because I'm boring. Some people can't stand to read books more than once, but I find it comforting. I know what's going to happen, I can skip over the stuff I don't want to read and not lose the plot, and I can put my brain on auto-pilot. Sort of like watching t.v., except without the horrifying possibility of encountering graphic images of a crime scene or Flavor Flav.

Here are some of my go-to favorite books, many from my childhood:

1) All of the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. I have already alluded to my fondness for these books, but perhaps you didn't realize that I re-read all of them probably once a year. I know that makes me sound juvenile and lame. What's your point?

2) The President's Daughter trilogy by Ellen Emerson White. These are fantastic books for teenagers. They were written in the 80s and are about the daughter of the first female president. They're very well-written and funny, despite being dramas, more or less. Plus, I've always been fascinated with the White House, and it's just cool to read about a woman being president. Especially considering the book was written pre-Hillary Clinton, when the possibility of a female president was still a far-off dream.

3) Anything by Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters (except the Amelia Peabody series). Same woman, two different pen names for the two genres she writes. She's very funny, very witty, and very educated. She writes these hilarious tongue-in-cheek modern Gothic thrillers. She's probably my favorite author ever. And at least she doesn't write children's books, so I can pretend that I'm a grown-up.

4) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Awesome. And hey! This one is a real, actual classic! So I'm not a complete English-major reject! But once again, it is a book for children. Are we sensing a theme here? I apparently suffer from literary arrested development.

5) Alas, Babylon. This book was written at the height of the Cold War. It's a novel about the possible scenario had the U.S. been hit with multiple nuclear bombs. It's a great book about survival. But not as abjectly depressing as many "when the end comes--dum dum DUUUUUM" books, which is important because I'm mostly into escapism, not reality.

There are others of course, but I won't bore you further. Plus, I want to know what your top picks might be. What do you read over and over again?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Great Gatsby, The Sound and the Fury, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter are the ones I can always read over and over (I suppose I should thank my high school english teacher here. Eh.).

Also, I have been trying to force myself to read Madame Bovary for 4 years. Haven't even cracked that sucker.

SaraPMcC said...

I was just telling someone at work the other day that I'm the worst English major ever because I don't care about reading the classics. And when everyone in the department (past or present) sat around talking about what books they read and which authors are their favorites, I always felt stupid. I became an English major by default, you know; I was a bio major and a theater minor, then a theater major and a bio minor, then realized I can't do anything, but I can sort of speak English! And so it goes.

I don't really read books over and over because I get bored with things. But I can read books about The Beatles or Paul McCartney over and over! Nothing specific I can think of. I've read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius more than once (OK, just parts), and if you haven't read it, please do, it's great (by Dave Eggers). And I've read the David Sedaris books more than once, actually, so I lied. But he's amazing. And I've always wanted to get through the Harry Potter series again, but the books are so long...

It's me said...

Anything Steinbeck I can re-read. I always tried the classics, but didn't get too far. I love The Jungle (Sinclair), the Caine Mutiny (first time at 9 yrs old and about every 6 years thereafter. It changes each time).

I loved Alas Babylon, and just re-read The Grapes of Wrath. That made me sad, btw.

But you know that you have to read World War Z. I know, I know... it sounds like Zombies, and it is, ostensibly, but not really. It's much more political than I expected and very very good. Now go read the darn thing. Your husband and I can't be wrong!!!! OK, I can't be wrong, husbands are often wrong. :)

Tina Post said...

I don't really read much over and over... I've read The Once and Future King more than once... I've read Little Women more than once... I plan to read the new translation of War and Peace (love Tolstoy), having slugged through the Maude some years ago... But it seems like there are just too many books to read to revisit things very often.

OH! But! Shakespeare's The Tempest I've read a couple few times. I know that's not a book, but. I also cannot begin to justify why that's my favorite play of his, but it is.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

If you haven't checked out The Happiness Project you really should. Especially the one where she admits that she loves children's literature, and that's okay. Or the one where she give a huge list of recommended reading in kid-lit.

krysta said...

thank god i'm not the only one out there who doesn't read the classics. i don't like jane austin, there i've said it. maybe i will like her later on in my life but she just doesn't do it for me. the one thing i like about getting older is that everytime i re-read a book i see another view point. okay, the books i read over and over again...

tales of the city (omnibus edition)by armistead maupin. (san fransisco in the 70's. best. book. ever!)

empire falls by richard russo

the road by cormac mccarthy

1984, the monk downstairs, memiors of a geisha, little women, a dirty job by christopher moore ( a baby as the grim reaper. laugh out loud funny) and anything by michael ruhlman or anthony bourdain.

It's me said...

Krysta -
Christopher Moore is HILARIOUS! Did you read FLUKE or the one about the island and the love goddess and the cargo cult? CLASSIC. :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Krysta: I can't believe you listed a Richard Russo book! Yay! I never read any of his books until moving here, but they are great. The best one, in my opinion, is "Nobody's Fool," which was also made into a movie with Paul Newman. The funny thing about those books is you'd think he's exaggerating the losers in these small upstate New York towns for dramatic effect. But he's not. We can read those books and draw parallels with the people in our village. He totally nailed rural upstate New York.

So if you'd like to read a description of the sort of place I live by an actual writer, as opposed to a pretend writer like me, look no further than Richard Russo.

Anonymous said...

My brother has a PhD in English and teaches at U of Alabama. One day he saw me reading The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter (no offense, JT), sighed, and said, "I hate 'literature.'" So I guess you can count him in your group of English majors that don't necessarily love the classics.

I read every day, too, and have re-read every book in my house too many times to count. Faves: anything by Fanny Flagg, but especially Welcome To The World, Baby Girl. Anything by Margaret Atwood, but especially The Handmaid's Tale. The Laura Ingalls Wilder collection. The Narnia series. Anything by Dorothy L. Sayers, but especially Gaudy Night. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (that was the first book of his I read, and I was so disappointed when I tried his others, but that one's worth it). Most anything by Edith Wharton. Just finished re-reading Gone With The Wind. Lamb by Christopher Moore. Hee! The Harry Potter series.

Possibly I spend too much time reading...

krysta said...

*meadowlark... loved fluke! at first i thought i had acidentially ingested some drugs the first time i had read the book but then i got it.

kristin... i love richard russo... nobody's fool and straight man are my other favorites... i'm glad someone knows and loves him as much as i do. if you like him and you haven't read tales of the city by armistead maupin go find it, you'll love it. promise.

FinnyKnits said...

Every year (at least once) I read Winterdance by Gary Paulsen. He moved to the Alaskan interior with his wife and cats to raise and race huskies in the Iditarod.

The book is hysterical and beautiful and inspiring and crazy.

I love it more every time I read it.

Also the Christopher Moore books are super entertaining, I've read them all x2.

I hate the classics. BORING.