Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Let's Get Animal*

So, who's getting bored with me? Yeah, me too. So today, how about we take a break from the narcissistic bitch-fest this blog has become, and focus on something more pleasant. Because we have a lot of animals around here, and they're much more photogenic than me. To say nothing of less bitter.

Look who's all free and independent now . . .


Playing King of the Mountain


Every morning, I open their little chicken door so they can roam free, eating small bugs and indulging in dust baths. That's a good time, chicken-style. And every night, I close and latch the door to keep out the bad things. But we can't always protect our little chicks when they become big chickens and strike out on their own. Hence, one chicken has disappeared, leaving us with five chickens. It's a hard knock life.

And look who's very interested in the free and independent chickens . . .



Come to Mama, chickies.


She does not take a motherly interest in them. I believe she also sees them as a chicken dinner on legs. The dogs have not been absolved of blame in the Case of the Missing Chicken.

And now for a lesson in sheep breeds. Remember when A. bought three Merino ewes a couple of months ago? Perhaps I failed to mention that they are, in fact, Merinos. They're much smaller, quieter, and altogether more pleasant than the two gigantic Cotswold ewes we also have. This is what Merinos look like . . .


Kiss our woolly, dung-smeared butts, crazy camera lady.

HAHAHAHAHA. Oh my God, I am SO CLEVER. Okay, okay. This is what their faces look like. But it's not as funny.




I am cute, yes? You gimme corn?


And here's Don Juan the ram (I named him--clever, like I said), hanging around the fence, gazing longingly in at his unreachable harem.



Don Juan loves the ladies.


His services are not required for another couple of months, so he has to keep his pizzle to himself for awhile yet.

Not pictured are the Cotswold ewes, because they were too busy stuffing their faces full of grass to come close enough for a photo op, and Lambchop 1, 2, and 3, because I don't want you to get attached. They're, ahem, going to their reward on Saturday. Although, it's not so much a reward for them as it is a reward for us in the form of numerous legs of lamb. Yum.

And on that cheery note, I wish you a good day.

* From that 80s classic, "Let's Get Physical." What a filthy song. Olivia should be ashamed of herself for singing such words. To say nothing of appearing in a video full of shiny spandex, leg warmers, and headbands.

10 comments:

Sweet Bird said...

I'm totally in love with your chickens. I finally broke the news to Husband that when we can finally settle down I want a house, land, and some furry little animals. Not to mention a great big garden.

He was receptive to the idea, so here comes the mini-cow!

Susan said...

Oh! Now I want sheep. Do they eat honeysuckle? We let our chickens free range during the day, too, although not lately due to hawks. If one of my chickens gets picked off by a hawk, I will be sad. I will also hope I have my camera - partly to capture the looks on my neighbors' faces as they watch a chicken-toting hawk fly down the street.

Anonymous said...

Ah, circle of life! My little chicks are getting so big! Probably listening to Nine Inch Nails and getting interested in girls!

Also: I want to kiss that little sheep's face. CUTE.

I can a still remember the YEARS of my life I spent thinking "Let's Get Physical" was about aerobics. And then the instant I realized that OH NO IT WASN'T.

SaraPMcC said...

Thanks. Now Let's Get Physical will be in my head for the rest of the day. And all I can picture is Olivia's wide-eyed look at that big fat guy. But I have to admit that I enjoy the reference; I would've known it even if you hadn't pointed it out.

jean said...

I thought the lambs were cute until I realized that their butts would be dirty. I don't do that kind of dirt. When do the chickens meet their demise?

FinnyKnits said...

Merino like merino wool? Have we talked about this already? You really SHOULD be crafty.

Your sheeps is cute.

MsPicketToYou said...

I am never getting a dog, a cat or god forbid a gerbil. I am however getting a sheep. Just saying.

and also OMG: that song is SO dirty yet I belted every word at what 8? 9 years old?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Susan: I should imagine sheep would eat honeysuckle. They eat everything except dock, as far as I can tell, and they especially love weeds. Yay!

Jean: The chickens have more growing to do. Since we're not sure what kind of breed they are (meat or layers), because they're a mix, we don't know how long it will take them to get to full size. But at least three of them are roosters, which means at least two of them are some unlucky chickens.

Finny: Yes, Merino like merino wool. And no, still not crafty with no interest in knitting. I tried it, I hated it, I'm done with it. The end. But we know lots and lots and LOTS of people who knit, so finding a home for the wool will not be hard.

Ms. Picket: Got you beat. I sang it ALL THE TIME when I was like 3 or 4. Way to go, Mom!

Anonymous said...

*LOL* Yeah and me as miss innocent actually thought it was about aerobics until much much later in life when i learned the joys of getting physical. I suppose it's a lot better than "I touch myself" by the Divinyls.

Susan said...

I'm never bored with you! Just envious of all the things you know how to do...