Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kristin Gets Krafty


I started ripping things out of the garden yesterday. It was strangely satisfying. That might be because I pulled up two blighted tomato plants, making me feel like I'm gaining some measure of control over the tomatoes. Clearly, I've become delusional, because The Dish Pan is still sitting on the counter, jeering at me.

BUT ANYWAY. One of the things I tore out of the ground was the freakish corn. It occurred to me while I was performing this task last year that the garden center sells bundles of corn stalks for decorating, and here I had my own supply. I made my own bundle, tied it to the fencepost by the road, added some pumpkins, and TA DA! My annual Fabulous Fall Fence Decoration was born.

Be impressed, dammit.



Okay, it's really just a bundle of corn stalks and some pumpkins. It's not as if I tied it all up with cute little ribbons and carved the pumpkins or anything. That's because I am SO not a decorator. My eyes glaze over when people start talking about color schemes and complementary textures. I'm going with the nature-not-nurture theory on this one, because my sister and I had the same upbringing, and yet she is the Craft Queen and I am . . . not.

Are you the crafty sort? Or would you rather commit hari kari than enter a Michael's store? Do tell.

10 comments:

Tina Post said...

If I could stay home all day to make pretty stuff I'd be the happiest girl in the world...

I should have gone to school for architecture or interior design or something. I'm totally unskilled as yet, but I looooove it.

krysta said...

ewwwww, i hate michaels between that [fake candle] smell that gives me a migraine to the tiny aisles that you can't get a cart down to the only one cashier they have open when there's 18 people in line... i'd rather have knitting needles shoved in my eyes than go into michaels.

Sweet Bird said...

I dig your decor. Less is more.

Craft stores make me want to hurl. I'm all about making my house and yard look nice. But if someone asked me to scrapbook I might punch them in the face.

Anonymous said...

I often leave Michael's with way more stuff than I actually get around to completing. My specialty is baby and wedding shower favors - ones that do not include plastic, netting, bubbles, or anything that might be considered precious. I actually won a baby shower favor contest, which I realize sounds entirely lame, but I got $100. WOO!

It's me said...

I totally WANT to be crafty. I walk through Michaels and check out everything but in the end realize that I'm all thumbs and leave with nothing. And yeah, the smell makes my head hurt. :)

FinnyKnits said...

Depends what you're going to Michael's for. If it's for silk flowers, I'll keel over in the parking lot. However, there's some paper stuff in there that I enjoy.

Personally though, the decor yanked fresh from the yard is more fun. Plus no weirdos shopping back there.

I hope.

Anonymous said...

Way to go with the decoration; you make your mom proud! That country, crafty look in the front really compliments the look of roaming sheep - but, wait, the three sheep to which I refer are no longer roaming the front forty today. Ah, but I do have a smart girl - you've already got replacements. You've also motivated me to scour my yard for fall decorations - not, considering the pain involved in using anything found in the desert around my house.

Anonymous said...

I am crafty (okay I pretend to be) and that is a tower of AWESOMENESS!

Anonymous said...

I need some fall decorations. My luck though, the little jerks in my neighborhood would smash pumpkins. :(

Anonymous said...

Martha... is jealous.