Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Star of Blackrock

There's something about all things Christmas-related that A. doesn't like. Okay, he really kind of hates EVERYTHING about all things Christmas-related. There are a limited number of Christmas tasks I can get him to help with before he retreats to his Grinch cave to drink beer and rant about the Whos down in Whoville.

He will help me get the tree (we cut our own), and he will grudgingly help me put it in the stand. But he won't help decorate it. I always make him choose one ornament to put on the tree himself, because it's my job to force cheer into his dour, dreary life. It's a thankless job.

But there is one Christmas task that he performs with relative good grace, and that is placing the star on the top of the tree. He's the only one in the house tall enough to reach up there without teetering on a chair, though even he has to reach a little bit.

Placing the star requires graceful ballerina moves.

The tree is up, the house is decorated and (mostly) cleaned, the food is in the final stages of preparation . . . looks like we're having a party today.

3 comments:

Sweet Bird said...

Don't feel alone, I can't get mine to really even leave the house. Though he did completely reformat my poor virus attacked computer last night - so I probably shouldn't complain too much lest the hackers repeat their dirty deed...

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you . . . I am enchanted by Blackrock. I'm a freak that way -- mesmerized by old houses, but I can't help myself. Every picture you post just makes me want to see more.

I want more!!!! Tell us about the house and take more pictures. (Pretty please?)

Oh, yeah. Tell us about the party, too.

We blog readers are nosy buggers, huh?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I love that little bay you have your tree in...when do we get a house tour?

I'm with Mayberry, love, love, love old houses. You need to think about doing a photo tour for us...after you clean up from the party that is! Kim