Wednesday, January 14, 2009

And Then There Was One

This is what it comes down to. After months of labor, days of canning, gallons of sweat: The Final Tomato.


FREAK

This tomato came from a plant that was planted in the garden in May. This tomato was harvested on October 19, 2008. Three months ago. This thing has been sitting on my kitchen counter for three months. How? How is this possible? I do not know. A deal with the devil? The fountain of youth?

Whatever. When I conquer my vague feelings of uneasiness at its life-prolonging powers and eat this weirdo, I will win this thing once and for all. It's only a matter of time. I can outwait this tomato.

Or can I?

P.S. You can still enter for the $25 Amazon gift certificate. Just comment on this post.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Blackrock is the fountain of youth?

Sheila

Amy said...

I'd whack it with a cleaver, smother it in garlic, throw salt around it to ward off lingering evil tomato spirits and say a rite of exorcism over it. Then I'd stuff it in my mouth and hope the hybrid from Hell is truly gone. But then again, I'm dramatic.

Anonymous said...

That thing IS a freak. And possibly sent here to destroy us all. What if you eat it and you suddenly stop aging? Or start aging backwards, like Benjamin Button?! DON'T EAT IT, KRISTIN!!!1!!11!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, how is that possible? I have tomatoes that won't last for three days on my counter. Perhaps we should interrogate it until we get its secret.

bigskygirls said...

Me too. All my tomatoes are already going bad on the way home from the store.

I think it'll give you superpowers if you eat it. :)

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I'm in the eat-it-and-gain-its-magical-powers-for-your-own camp. And I want to chant, "EAT IT! EAT IT!" but that's just nasty, so I won't. But eat it.

Susan said...

I can't think of anything clever to say after reading Amy's comment. That is hysterical! I think you should feed it to one of the creatures and then try to butcher it and see if it will die or if it has amazing survival powers. Could be an easy way to get rid of a lovebird...

Chiot's Run said...

I still have a few dozen tomatoes waiting to be eaten. I'm thinking sloppy joes or pasta.

Susan said...

OR...you could send it to Guantantomato and torture its secrets out of it...

krysta said...

you know what? i wouldn't eat the little sucker... let's take bets to see how long it will last for.

MsPicketToYou said...

Don't eat it! Frame it!

Anonymous said...

I love you, man. And I love Amazon. And, hey, I comment A LOT.

Enter me, enter me, enter me!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well considering the average cold room (root cellar, whatever ya wanna call it) temperature is probably a couple of degrees warmer than your house, I'm not surprised it's lasted so long. You'll probably live to be 115 and look you're 29 forever more

Faye S

Anonymous said...

How about saving it for seeds? A long lasting tomato like that deserves to live on. Bwahh...haha!