Friday, May 8, 2009

GiTs

There is a group of men common in rural areas that I refer to as Guys in Trucks, or GiTs*. Around here, men drive pick-up trucks. Not ALL men, of course, but a LOT of men. And the trucks tend to be of the big, four-wheel drive variety. Part of it is that a lot of these guys work in construction or landscaping or whatever, and so a truck is necessary for their work. Part of it (let's be honest now--probably most of it) is that they just like driving big trucks. It's a boy thing.

The Guys in Trucks are particularly noticeable at this one general store we go to sometimes for sandwiches. I like to sit on the benches outside the store and watch truck after truck pull up, with guy after guy in big work boots and dirty jeans hopping out to get cigarettes, beer, and Slim Jims. It's greatly entertaining.

Of course, A. is a GiT. All of his friends are GiTs. And GiTs are very useful guys to have driving around in great number. That's because if you should ever blow a tire/slide into a ditch/hit a deer, a GiT will invariably stop within minutes and change your tire/haul you out of the ditch/butcher the deer in the road.

Just kidding on that last one.

But seriously, Guys in Trucks are the most helpful people. It's almost like they form an informal rescue squad on the back roads. And they always, ALWAYS, stop to help. I remember our friend J. telling us about a lady who slid off the road in her mini-van right into a very deep ditch. Luckily for her, she went off the road in front of J.'s house. J. is a GiT. He had a friend visiting him at the time, also a GiT. Between the two of them (and their trucks), they hauled the lady out of the ditch and got her back on the road within half an hour, despite mud, ice, and snow all over the place. J. also sliced his palm open on her bumper or something while he was working, but he didn't even notice until about an hour later. And he didn't even care. Those are the kind of guys I like to have around.

Okay, I've written like eight different closings for this post, and they're all lame. I'm giving up. Over and out.

* "Git" is a British slang word for "a foolish or worthless person." Pretty much the opposite of what I'm talking about here. So to avoid confusion, just pronounce this acronym as separate letters--"gee eye tee." Thank you for your cooperation.

15 comments:

Garden Pheenix said...

Yeah you just described the men who turn me on in life. You mix that with intelligence and hot damn mm mmm mmmm ;c) hehehe

Marie said...

We have those here too in Morocco.
I mean, except for the trucks (it would donkeys), and the beer (instead, tea).

me said...

GiTs are useful people, we have them in Canada too. Round here they tend to look like wildmen,or someone going to a ZZ Top convention.

BTW, I disagree with your defintion of git. It's a much stronger word, more of a contemptible person, as in a "mean old git" or "stupid git". The word "twit" fits your definition better.

Phoo-D said...

We have a lot of GITs around here too. If someone has a problem on the side of the road you will see two trucks pull up within minutes. I'm still slightly amazed by it as I grew up in the city where if you saw a car by the side of the road you never stopped because they "might be a psycho setting a trap to kill you". Yeah, and I wonder how I got to be so paranoid. Thanks Mom. =)

Anonymous said...

Wah ha ha ha ha.......yes, they WOULD butcher the deer, they MIGHT move to the side of the road..but then they wouldn't have a captive audience for the gutting and skinning. Luv those guys. Don't give a rat's behind what folks think of them...but wouldn't hurt a soul.

Chiot's Run said...

So true, most of the men in my area are like this.

FinnyKnits said...

Which is why I refuse to let Bubba get rid of his truck. He's always driven a truck, even when he moved to CA from KS and he was the only one in the parking lot at his office pulling in with a truck rather than a BMW.

Because, at the end of the day, he is always going to stop and help anyone on the side of the road, and that is hard to do in a Mini Cooper.

Amy said...

GiTs. They pretty much rock.

jean said...

GITs are like that no matter where you live. Seriously, 9 out of 10 times you will notice that it is a GiT pulled over on the highway helping a stranger. It's a GiT who helps people out of their flooded homes. And GiTs are the ones who volunteer to help move the extra large, heavy furniture you just bought.

Kay said...

I love my GIT, also known as my Farmer. Men in Bemers don't do a thing for me.

Tractors are good too. ;o)

Sweet Bird said...

I grew up in a family of GiTs - and married someone that is so far removed from that type of lifestyle they aren't even within throwing distance.

If my husband saw someone slide into a ditch in front of our house he would most likely stand watching in the window for about two seconds and then go back to whatever he was doing. I would be taking my SUV out to help the person.

Do I qualify as a GiT?

I like cigarettes, beer, AND Slim Jims...not that I get any of them anymore.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Mayberry is full of GiTs. God bless 'em, except when I run in the morning and they HOG the road.

Daisy said...

In my city neighborhood, those GiTs are the guys with the snowblowers who will clear the driveways of the entire block if they're the first ones home from work. Gotta love 'em!

Barry said...

I have been a GiT since 1995, though admittedly with a little less machismo and chest puffing than most GiTs I know...

I recently purchased a used SUV off of a friend with the plan of selling my truck (it gets 11 mpg around town...), but I cannot seem to part with it.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Can a female be a G.i.T.? Because I think I am one. One ton crew cab duelley off road 4x4.
The floor is covered with tow ropes and cargo straps and tools.
One local Deputy was displeased to see a machete on the back seat. That's a tool right?