Sunday, May 24, 2009

More Garden Stuff--BECAUSE YOU LOVE IT

And if you don't, humor me.

Yesterday I planted the purple cabbage plants. This involved digging up a patch of ground that hadn't been tilled, because there were some over-wintered spinach plants in there that I wasn't ready to pull out when the rest of the garden was tilled. But they were starting to bolt anyway (meaning go to seed, which is when they become bitter and inedible), so I yanked them out and dug up the area. It was really weedy, so I had to dig it up and pull all the weeds out, too. And they were really good weeds, like dandelions, which have tap roots that I'm pretty sure go to China. Fun!

BUT ANYWAY.

After the digging, hoeing, and raking were all completed, the purple cabbages went in. I left in one small chard plant that had been just starting to grow there, because I didn't have the heart to yank it out just as it started to get going. I'm such a sucker.

More than one person has asked me what kinds of tomatoes I put in. The varieties change every year, depending on what's caught our eye in the catalogs over the winter. We're impulse tomato seed buyers. Better than impulse car buyers or something, I guess. Anyway, this year, I have in Black Krim, Jet Star, Primetime, Giant Tree, Celebrity, Baby Cakes, Kellogg's Breakfast, Stupice, Roma, and San Marzano. And I'm not going to post all the descriptions of what those are, because A) I am too lazy to cut and paste that much, and B) I'm assuming most of you don't really care and those of you who do can look them up yourself.

So with that pleasant directive, I wish you a happy Sunday, duckies!

8 comments:

Susan said...

There's a bolted brussel sprout plant in the chicken coop - the only living plant from last year. Even the chickens don't like them.

Amy said...

My MIL told me the reason my tomatoes look so crappy is because I don't feed them. ::blink:: Oh. Then I thought....'Well, my grandma didn't feed hers years ago and she had awesome plants!' ::sigh:: I may as well aceept I am just bad at gardening, but every year I do it all over again with my fingers crossed....

Sweet Bird said...

I love Black Krim's - and oh boy, what I would give to have some San Marzano's growing in my back yard...

jean said...

Thanks for the info on the tomatoes. I'll be looking them up and maybe using them next year.

Daisy said...

I'm an impulse seed and seedling buyer, too. I bought too many tomato seedlings this year; I have them planted too close together. I sure hope most survive!

mil said...

Stupice deserves a special comment. It's got a really, really bad name that reminds me of the teases big brothers might make up to irritate little sisters. However, it tastes marvelous, ripens before anything else, and it keeps on producing. The fruit is a good salad size, not too big and unwieldy. So if you can overlook the name, spring for a packet of seed next year. Totally Tomatoes carries it.

rls said...

Being a non-gardener, I just have to say that I am amused that something is called "Totally Tomatoes." Hee!

p.s. my verification word is "splave" which of course sounds like "to blave" which has me off and going in Princess Bride mode.

mdvelazquez said...

I planted Brandywine, Black Krim, Roma, Health Kick Hybrid, Black Truffle Hybrid, and Sweet Tangerine. I can't wait for the first crop.