Friday, May 29, 2009

What's Your Poison?

It's Friday! And do you know what I love to talk about on Fridays? That's right. Liquor. I've covered this topic once or twice before. On Fridays. Except it's not like I only drink liquor on Fridays, so I don't know why it seems so appropriate that Fridays be Liquor Forum day on Going Country.

BUT ANYWAY.

I have gone through distinct phases in my drinking evolution. First, of course, is the Broke Phase, during which you pretty much drink whatever you can afford and/or can get someone to buy you if you're not 21 yet. (For my father: NOT THAT I DRANK BEFORE I WAS 21.*) This mostly meant cheap beer. I never really developed much of a taste for beer, though.

The Broke Phase usually coincides with the Shot Phase. Lots of shots. Of whatever swill is available. I hope to never again in my life ingest Jagermeister straight. Gross.

After college, I didn't drink much at all. Since the only time I really drank was when I was out with friends, and I wasn't going out a lot once I was working and doing all those other boring adult things, I mostly limited myself to the odd rum and Coke at happy hour with my co-workers. How dull.

Then A. introduced me to real mixed drinks, after we actually had enough money to have a respectable liquor collection. Gin and tonics. Sidecars. Hot buttered rum. Mint juleps. Slippery Slopes. Even frozen margaritas. All featuring very strong liquor cleverly disguised as tasty beverages. I do love mixed drinks. I also will occasionally drink sweeter kinds of wine. But mostly, bring on the cocktail shaker.

And now it's your turn, my fellow drinkers. Are you an oenophile? A beer imbiber? A whiskey sipper? What's your poison?

* For everyone else: I was actually 19 when I had my first drink--I think that's pretty restrained.

16 comments:

Susan said...

I don't drink anymore, which is sad because there's really no way to make a virgin mojito or black & stormy.

Phoo-D said...

Funny enough my grandparents were the ones to "really" teach me how to drink. Because of that I have an appreciation for the classic mixed drinks and can even handle scotch (though it's not a regular thing). As you may have noticed we also enjoy wine. Oh and craft beers are good too...guess I like it all ;)

SaintTigerlily said...

Wine: Cabernet, almost any sparkling white
Beer: Guinness or Erdinger
Liquor: Laphroig (neat), Hendricks (with tonic and giant cucumber slice), and bloody mary's, preferably the ones at Prune downtown with a big ball of wasabi and a housemade beef jerky swizzle stick.

Aaaaaand now I want a drink.

Stupid green tea.

(*My word verification is "funkee"!)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't gonna comment 'cause I don't drink........but.....the word verification word is wasters right now, so I had to point that out. Hey, don't get me wrong I don't car if YOU drink....it just isn't MY thing.

SaintTigerlily said...

Does bloody mary have an apostrophe?

Tis Friday.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Cherry slushies with vodka. Don't drink them sitting down. By the time you realize how much you've had you won't be able to stand up.

CountryMidwife said...

Gin and Tonic, on a hot day, preferably in the tropics!

Mojito.... yum. But then I have to floss.

Mostly, wine. God did good when he created wine grapes.

Sara said...

Kristin, I think I had my first real drink (a white Russian!) when I was 19 also! I had a few sips of things here and there, but I think that was my first real drink. After that, it was amaretto sours, which is strange, and Long Island iced teas, until I realized that those are a bad idea. And cheap beer, of course, because that's what college is all about. Now I enjoy wine a lot. I still like a rum and diet or vodka and (diet) tonic every now and then. Or a good beer. (I pretty much enjoy drinks with booze.) But not Jagermeister. Yikes. Never again.

I do remember a shot called a buttery nipple (barely remember, I should say!). Anyone know exactly what's in that?

mil said...

While I did try to cultivate good drinking habits in my children (cardinal rule: nobody improves after three drinks), making sure they knew the difference between good beer and swill and Boone's Farm and real wine, I didn't train cocktail drinkers. A. developed that on his own, though I may have introduced him to Negritos. Awesome and dangerous.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Merlot lover and whiskey sipper here.

Beer is boring (except on a really hot day doing yard work).

Tami bami wami said...

I love just about anything minty flavored so peppermint schnapps mixed with milk, hot chocolate, or even just straight up is good.

otherwise i love a good red cabernet sauvignon.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Tami, add it to chocolate milk and it tastes just like Girl Scouts Thin Mints.

Chiot's Run said...

I'm not much of a drinker, I enjoy an occational glass of champagne - MMMMMM. And some wine every now and then.

I have decided that I can only have one vice though and mine is coffee. We spend our drinking money on good coffee!

Amy said...

I love my Kahlua on ice cream. It's a win-win.

Also, chocolate milk and peppermint schnapps = Girl Scout Thin Mints? Drew is the Devil. Now I must go buy some to see.

rls said...

Oh, man, was it a bad idea for me to read these comments. Now I want to try all of these drinks. 'Specially the Thin Mints one. And a Bloody Mary with wasabi? Genius, my friend. Genius.

Kay said...

I like sweeter wines, and really love a good margarita. We just discovered Butterscotch Schnapps. Oh my~

After a long afternoon of mowing, I like a flavored malt beverage.

(Koolade for grownups?)