Thursday, July 23, 2009

Let the Harvest Begin

I scared myself yesterday when I ventured into the garden to work for the first time in, uh, a week? Two weeks? Who can remember? Too long, in any case, because the tomato plants were sprawling all over the place; the green beans were suddenly big enough to pick; the jalapeno plants had multiple peppers on them; the beets, TWO WHOLE ROWS of them, were the size of baseballs; the broccoli had produced yet more side shoots; the cucumbers had gotten out of control entirely; and it was past time to dig up the garlic and shallots.

I could blame the incessant rain for the fact that I had let the garden get into this state. Or I could just admit to laziness. No matter! To work!

First I tied up the tomatoes. This took a LONG TIME, because the rain has caused the tomatoes to bush out to alarming proportions. Also alarming? The sheer number of tomatoes on those plants. See, none of them have started ripening. And if none of the fruits ripen, the plant doesn't get the signal to slow down production. Assuming all those tomatoes DO ripen at some point, it's gonna get ugly in my kitchen. There will be sweating, and cussing, and eventually--lord willin' and the crik don't rise--a whole lotta canned tomatoes to get us through the winter.

But I won't think about that now.

Next I dug up all the garlic and hauled it into the shed to cure on the dog grooming table. Hey, I use what I have. After that, I pulled up the shallots and put them in the shed, too, on makeshift tables constructed of boards over trash cans. Trashy-looking, but effective.

You may recognize the shed as the scene of the deer butchering last fall. The shed gets a lot of use.

When I planted the shallots, I thought I hadn't kept enough for seed and I wouldn't end up with a very big harvest this year. That would have been true, had the shallots not grown to GARGANTUAN SIZES. I have enough shallots.

Then I went inside and washed my hands and had some water, because I had been working for a couple of hours and I was hot. Hydration is an important part of gardening. You heard it here first.

Next, my trusty canvas bucket and I advanced upon the cucumbers. It was scary under those vines. I swear to God, I JUST CHECKED the cucumbers a couple of days ago. Some were getting about right for picking. Two days later, I had several that had already grown TOO big, and many, many more that needed to be picked right away. I ended up with about six pounds of cucumbers. Then I picked the first green beans (yay!) and cut off more side shoots on the broccoli. We harvested the actual broccoli heads a long time ago, but the plants continue to produce smaller side shoots. I think this is the third round of side shoots we've harvested. A. is thrilled, big broccoli lover that he is. (That's very heavy sarcasm--he hates broccoli. Almost as much as he hates cauliflower, which is ALSO growing in our garden! Lucky A.)

This is cut off at the bottom because I am still using the busted camera. Because I'm too cheap to buy another one.

At this point, I took a break for lunch. Then I considered the cucumbers. There is only one possible use for six pounds of cucumbers.

Good lord in heaven, how I love dill pickles.

Not addressed yesterday were the multiple jalapenos and the huge beets. Since I don't have any tomatoes yet, I can't use the jalapenos yet for salsa. Last year, I had jalapenos AFTER my tomatoes were done with the heaviest production. I can't seem to get the timing right. But the jalapenos can wait for a bit. The beets, however, really can't wait anymore. They'll be pickled. Probably today. It's going to be a messy, messy job, but that's my penance for being such a bum with my gardening chores and letting everything get out of control.

Constant vigilance, my fellow gardeners. Learn from me.

11 comments:

mdvelazquez said...

I'm jealous of your dill pickles.

Do you plant herbs? If so, how do you preserve them for future use?

With the exception of my chives and Italian oregano, all of my herbs are out of control.

My husband is quite pleased that we have several watermelon growing. Several people told him that it wasn't likely that it would grow since they had never been able to do so. He was rather disappointed to hear that since it was the only thing he asked me to plant for him. We have four fruit the size of jawbreakers. If we get a fruit for every flower, we will end up with ten. Yikes!

Sherry said...

I am sooooo envious of you. I know that is a ton of work, but look what you get for it!

Anonymous said...

OH DEAR GOD those pickles look amaaaazing.

When I grew cucumbers a couple years ago in my teeny garden, I had the same experience: Monday, no cucumbers. Tuesday, no cucumbers. Wednesday, cucumbers as big as my damn forearm.

I grew banana peppers this year, and have no idea why. Any ideas about what to do with them?

SaintTigerlily said...

Oh man, gorgeous. Our tomatoes only just started to ripen and I already have a ton. Will you send me a dill pickle recipe?

*bats eyelashes*

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Maria: We have some herbs, but not a whole lot. Other than turning the basil bushes into pesto and freezing it, I don't try to preserve herbs. There are methods for drying that I've seen, but never tried.

J.T.: I've never grown banana peppers, though I have eaten them. They're usually not too hot, and I believe they are often referred to as good for stuffing. You could probably find some recipes online.

Tigerlily: Sure, with the caveat that I always tweak the brine recipes I use, so the exactness of my personal recipe is . . . well, not exact.

Amy said...

Me=jealous. My few tomato plants have shriveled into dust. It's been so hot here, even the succulents are looking sad.

FinnyKnits said...

Nice dills! I am always happy to hear when people make dill pickles instead of evil sweet DEVIL pickles. Bless you.

So, Ms Kris, what are your plans for all those shallots?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Finny: Why, I plan to eat them, of course. I like them better than onions in things like salads and dressing, where they stay raw. They're less offensive to me than raw onion. So, what with all the cucumber salads and French potato salads with shallot vinaigrette and tuna salad and roasted with potatoes . . . I never have too many.

Kate said...

Wow, you do a lot of work with your garden!

Kay said...

Sounds like my garden. When the grand-girls were here my salad garden went to grass. Then a volunteer spaghetti squash came up and is growing wildly. The Swiss Chard is going strong, even with the grasshoppers munching on it. Potatoes are nice and big and still growing. Lots of green tomatoes. One lone hot pepper growing.
Pulled the onions today and they are curing on the patio table (I'll move them tomorrow to the shade during the day.)
Cucumbers are coming on slowly, but my neighbors are gifting me with beets, zucchini and more cucumbers. And corn.

Watch out when canning. See my blog. I know what I"m talking about. :o[

Daisy said...

I fear my tomatoes will be ready in September - when I am at my busiest getting my school year started!