Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sometimes My Own Ignorance Depresses Me

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person. I think I have a fairly broad spectrum of knowledge. And yet, I did not know that every computer doesn't automatically have wireless abilities.

That is, I didn't know this until Sunday, when A. and I were setting up his brand-new computer and I couldn't figure out how to access the wireless network on it. It was not until after a call to the customer service center of our Internet provider and a confusing discussion with a lady who had a strange accent and yet was curiously named "Jane" (SURE) that I discovered it's because our brand-new computer did not come equipped with wireless capabilities.

Oops.

And then today, when the dude came out to install a couple of phone lines, I found out that actually, our old computer doesn't have wireless capabilities either. I assumed it did, because I had the wireless network installed last week and the installer did not mention that he had actually hardwired the old computer in with the wireless router. Thanks, dude. But today's very helpful installer hooked us up with a USB adapter, so we are now fully wireless and have two computers online. Yay.

A. is counting on me to act as his office manager for this law practice he's setting up at home. I think we can all agree he's in trouble.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it...as long as you have a portable phone and pad w/ you at all times...weeding..egg gathering...washing clothes...dead critter tossing...veggie gathering...champagne making...berry gathering...puppy wrangling...house cleaning...computer time...water pumping...I am sure I have left out LOTS of things. And in your spare time you can coordinate appts...answer questions...take messages...do the books...file your nails..oh, no time for self care sorry :) you had better get something in writing.. as to duties.....he is a lawyer after all ;) unless you are just collecting a paycheck...woohoo

Anonymous said...

So A is going to work from home now? Did you already talk about this? My apologies if I missed it, because this is so very awesome.

I say you embrace your office manager-ness and enforce a dress code and demand vacation time. And perhaps hang a motivational poster or two.

Phoo-D said...

Congratulations to A on making the move! I'm sure he will be happy to no longer have that long commute. I grew up with two parents working out of the house and it is very possible to do it successfully.

Sweet Bird said...

Hmmm...I feel like I've missed out on some updates. I had no idea A. was going to be working from home now.

I'm sure you will be an outstanding office manager. Not realizing that all computers aren't already wireless capable is nothing compared to forgetting that one can use the mailbox at their house to send outgoing mail.

Not that I've ever done that.

mdvelazquez said...

I don't think it is ignorance. These days one should be surprised when tech equipment doesn't automatically come equipped for wireless IMHO.

Good luck to A., and you, as you hang up his shingle.

FinnyKnits said...

You just have certain expectations about how the world should work.

In that it should be all wireless all the time.

Not too much to ask, I think.

MsPicketToYou said...

listen, i still think all of works by magic anyway.

Daisy said...

Our older computers needed attachments to become wireless compatible. Most new computers do have internal modems; I'm a little surprised yours doesn't.