Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cop-out

You know what's great when I'm feeling less than inspired about possible topics? Questions. Because THEN, all I have to do is answer the questions! No thought required! Brilliant! And lazy!

So, thanks to Anonymous who asked the following questions, which I will now answer in lieu of any kind of real post.

1) My recipe for collard greens. Recipe? What? I don't really have one. For straight-up greens, I usually just saute diced onion and garlic in olive oil, then chuck in the cleaned and chopped greens to stew in their own juices (and a little water) until they're done. And I don't like crunchy greens, so that's awhile. Sometimes I use chicken stock instead of water. Sometimes I dice and cook bacon first, then add the onions and garlic to that and proceed. Sometimes I am far, far too lazy to deal with the cleaning and prepping of greens, and I say screw it and get out the green beans I froze this summer.

I'm just being honest here.

2) My recipe for chard. See above, except no onions or bacon. And no additional water required, as chard is generally juicier than collards. But still the laziness and green bean fall-back occasionally.

3) How well cabbages keep in the cellar. Totally dependent on the cabbage. And the temperature and humidity in your cellar. You may recall the total failure of the green cabbages to keep in the cellar for even a month, with exceedingly disgusting results. But then, this was a really wet year, so they were maybe kind of damp going into storage. Generally, green cabbages don't keep as well as purple cabbages. We had a variety of purple cabbage last year that lasted until February. They were specifically identified as long keepers. We'll see how this year's purple cabbages do. They're a different variety.

That's all for now. Unless there are more questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks, I call those recipes. It's how you do it and what you do it with. I bet you don't normally measure anything....just cook by eye and taste...so to speak. That's a good way..it doesn't hem you in as far as what you use. Some folks, if they don't have EXACTLY what is in a recipe they won't attempt the recipe. So, do chard and collards taste similar? I assume they do..kinda like spinach? Good info on the cabbages , too. I know they pretty well keep forever in the frig..but, no one has that much fridge space. Chard/collards do well in the garden until?? a very hard freeze or what?
word verification 'fireli'
an evergreen that drives for nascar

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Actually, chard is a member of the beet family, so it tends to be more beet-tasting than collards, which are a member of the same family as cabbage. Chard is closer in texture to spinach, though.

Collards last longer in the garden than chard, though both can withstand freezing temperatures. Collards will actually taste better after a freeze. If there's snow cover to protect them a bit, they can withstand really cold temperatures. At least into the twenties, and I think even lower than that. Depends on the variety, too. Some are specifically formulated for winter gardens and can survive very cold temperatures.

Daisy said...

Hmmm. I haven't tried growing swiss chard or collard greens. I'll bet our pet rabbits would like them, if we didn't. :)