Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Woodchuck Saturday

Yesterday A. and I attended the craft fair put on annually by the MiL's church. This is actually the first year I've gone. While I am filled with admiration for people who can craft, I do not generally find a lot of use for craft items. However, I felt it was time for an outing (yes, the craft fair TOTALLY COUNTS--in my cloistered life, anyway), so away we went.

It was way bigger than I expected. It's held at the local high school, in the school's gym, lunch room, and front entry hall. There were something like 50 vendors there, selling everything from knitted items to pottery to wood furniture. We walked through the whole thing, admiring many fine crafts, and what did we buy? An old, rusty metal snow shovel for 50 cents. Because of course we did.

Then we came home and I managed to convince A. that it was a fine time to work on getting a headboard on our bed frame. Now that it's cold and the condensation is starting to drip down the wall behind our heads at night and all. I wanted a headboard on the bed before we got to the point that our pillows were freezing to the wall.

How I wish I were joking about that.

But instead of just going to the store and buying a bed frame with headboard included, like NORMAL people, we instead spent two hours disassembling A.'s childhood bed frame (a double) so we could scavenge the headboard and re-attach it to the cheap metal frame that came with our bed (a queen). This required drills and hammers and extra boards and all other kinds of fun. Most of which was done by A., while I did things like wipe thick layers of dust off of every surface we uncovered (GROSS) and attempt to hold things steady while he drilled (I mostly failed). Then we put up the MiL's old bed in the room A'.s old bed had been in, since the MiL now has the high four-poster bed that used to be in the north bedroom before we painted that room and moved the bed out so there is NO bed in the north bedroom anymore.

Got all that?

BUT ANYWAY.

In sum: Cheap used metal snow shovel+free headboard=one fine woodchuck Saturday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean you didn't fine any mukluks for the man cub..or something crocheted for him anyway?
word verification 'andwo'
astro's brother (from The Jetsons)

Mayberry Magpie said...

I, for one, thinks your approach to procuring a headboard is vastly superior to running out and buying one. Your approach is green, it's economical, and the result has sentimental value. It's a win-win-win.

Add on that your pillows won't freeze to the wall, and you've got a quadruple BINGO.

By the way, your comment this morning is still cracking me up because I, too, want to live in the carriage house. In fact, I keep wondering if my family will let me move out there. You and the baby can come visit during Blackrock's coldest month and we'll sip tea and play with the prince.

Susan said...

"Because of course we did." Hysterical!

Country Gone City said...

You had me at "craft fair". Did you incorporate the snow shovel into the headboard? I've got an old rake and old 3 prong pitchfork hanging(as decor) in my house. I use clothes pins to attach snapshots to the rake... I'm envious of your shovel ; )

me again said...

I missed the "frozen pillow" post from earlier this year (when we lost Terra last fall, I kind of lost touch with a lot of the blogs I followed; it took me quite a while to find peace) and so when I read it earlier today, it made me so cold I went and turned up the furnace! Brrrrrr. I hate hate hate being cold!
(My word verification is tritin....is that the god of the cold??)

Susan said...

Chris spent the day handcrafting a cover for our (astonishingly rusty) bathroom radiator. Nothing is simple.