Saturday, March 27, 2010

Who Needs That Stupid Backwards "R" Store?

A few days ago, when Cubby was screaming and A. was attempting to find a distraction that did not involve me, A. asked where the rattle Cubby likes was*. It was upstairs, where I wanted to keep it so I could continue to distract him from nursing for five minutes when I'm trying to get ready for bed. But I figured all I needed was something that makes noise. I mean, it doesn't have to be really child-friendly yet, as he can't grip it yet to shove it in his mouth or shake it himself. How hard can it be to make something that rattles, right?

Enter the empty glass spice jar with kidney beans inside.

It works great. Of course, it will have to be discontinued when Cubby is big enough to possibly get the top off, because I think kidney beans are the very definition of "choking hazard."

But for now? Cubby is quite happy with his woodchuck rattle. And if Cubby's happy, so are we.

* Thanks, Aunt Marilyn! Anything that keeps Cubby quiet for 30 seconds is aces.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pennies in a plastic coke bottle also work. I have used them to entertain puppies!

jean said...

Darn. I was going to say pennies in a plastic bottle too. Of course, it's all fun and games till he hits himself with it. He'll cry even harder but not from pain, just because he scared himself. Try not to laugh at him.

Anonymous said...

How did your outing go? Luv the woodchuck ingenuity . Beth


word verification 'vitnew'

cousin of guy who ran with Nixon for prez

Alicia said...

learning lots for, like, 10 years from now when I have kids...

Anonymous said...

I love all woodchuck posts by you. Love them. They make me want to go "home" again.

While we were living in VT and my husband took up beekeeping, Big Brother's first attempt at stringing a sentence together was (I sh*t you not) "uh oh...bees."

Smart kid, no?