Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Farewell

Duchess died on Thursday. Duchess was my grandmother.

Was
. I have to say was, now.

Born in Mississippi and a resident of New Orleans for almost all of her life, Duchess was a true Southern woman. She could (and would) talk to anyone, even total strangers. She loved parties, shopping, and jewelry. She wore nothing but high heels until she couldn't walk very well. She never owned a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. She would nevereverever let anyone except for close female family members see her without her face on. Her face was makeup. She was never without it. She had her face on when she died. She wouldn't have had it any other way, I'm sure.

She was 94 years old. It was her time. But I'm very sad that my son will never get to meet his great-grandmother. Cubby will travel with A. and me to New Orleans in a couple of weeks for the funeral. He won't get to meet Duchess, but he will get to meet many other far-flung family members who might otherwise never see him. We'll make a sad occasion as joyous as we can. It will be one last party in honor of a truly unique woman.

And that's exactly the way Duchess would have wanted it.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Kristen. It's small consolation but I know you will do a wonderful job keeping her spirit alive for Cubby with stories. She sounds like a fabulous lady.

Anke said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. People pass on, but their memory lives on in our hearts. And it sounds like you have wonderful memories to pass on to Cubby...

Alicia said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. :( I always loved the Duchess stories. Hop on over to Texas and I'll make you some consolidation lunch...

Anonymous said...

So sorry, Kristin! I am sad for you. Mary in MN

Sherry said...

Having been born and raised in the South, I can totally relate to ladies like Dutchess. God rest her soul. My sincere sympathy to you and your family, Krisen.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Sorry for your loss.

Tami Bami Wami said...

She wasn't always called Duchess was she? How did she come by the name aside from the fact that she always dressed up?

sweetbird said...

I'm very sorry about your loss. If it helps any, I don't bother putting it in the past tense when I refer to my grandfather. It's helped me cope a little.

jean said...

I'm so sorry. The Duchess sounds like she was a wonderful woman. Take photos so you'll have pictures to show your son when he is old enough to understand and wants to know about his family.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Duchess had three older brothers who began calling her Duchess when she was young because there was a kind of pudgy character in a popular comic strip at the time named Duchess. Estelle, which was her real name, was a little pudgy too, so they teased her by calling her Duchess.

The name stuck, and was just the perfect name for a very classy lady. EVERYone called her Duchess.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies. Beth

Anonymous said...

Yet another loss of what America was, and never will be again! LA&A Railroad......

Beth said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure that Cubby will learn how wonderful she was from you stories.

Safe travels in the next week.

Julie said...

Very sorry about your grandmother. She's sounds like a true gem.

Becky said...

What a lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I'm sure you'll have no trouble helping Cubby get to know Duchess through the years.

Mayberry Magpie said...

I always enjoyed hearing about Duchess because she seemed like my kind of lady. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I lost my Gram just a few short months after my daughter was born. I so wish my kids could have known my Gram.

me again said...

Kristen, I'm so sorry. Hugs across the miles :-)
==lennie==

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. She sounds like she was a remarkable lady.

MAYBELLINE said...

The loss is certainly sad. How wonderful you had a grandmother for so many years. What grand and fond memories you must have.

FinnyKnits said...

Sorry to hear this, Kris. Though I do hope y'all whoop it up good for her one last time :)

Daisy said...

So sorry for your loss. In the true New Orleans tradition, her funeral should be a celebration of her life. Your post is part of that tribute.

Phoo-D said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. She sounds like a marvelous woman, who meant a lot to your family.