Friday, May 14, 2010

One Fish, Two Fish . . . SO MANY FISH

Hey, remember A.'s friend J.? The one who fishes ALL THE DAMN TIME? Well, yesterday he and A. went out in J.'s boat for some fishing. And of course, when fishing with J., "some fishing" means an all-day marathon of fishing. They pushed off from our beach at 8 a.m. and didn't return until 4 p.m.

But when they DID get back . . .

HOLY POSEIDON. Did they leave any fish in the lake?

That's walleye, pike, pickerel, trout, and perch. That's a shitload of fish. Big fish, too. In order to give you a size comparison, I will make the supreme sacrifice of posting what may be the worst picture ever taken of me.

Babies are bad for your posture, and recoiling from a BIG-ASS UGLY PIKE makes for serious double chins on both mother and baby.

J. didn't want to take any of the fish home, so A. gutted them all and I wrapped them in plastic wrap and butcher paper to join the half-cow in the freezer. The MiL ran off with the fish heads. So she could make a recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking that she's been staring at for forty years. The recipe is Soupe du Poisson. Strained Fish Soup, in English. It calls for fish carcasses, but the heads can't have the gills. So the MiL actually removed the gills from the pike and pickerel heads. Pike and pickerel are the two ugliest fish on the planet, and their heads are scary-looking. They are also, according to the MiL, lethal. All spiky and slippery and she's lucky she didn't cut a finger off while she was snipping out the gills (GROSS). The resulting soup, however, was quite lovely. Especially considering the nastiness of the main ingredient.

The kitchen sink, however, was distinctly UN-lovely after the MiL had strained the soup and deposited the resulting solids into the sink. I did not take a picture of the sink. Trust me, you should thank me for that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum. Nothing better than fish on the grill. I'm jealous. Enjoy.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Ugliest? I don't know.

Just among the ones Andrew has eaten -- http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/seafishv.html -- I'd say Big Eye, Monkfish and that prehistoric monster the Sturgeon beat them. That Monkfish picture makes it look better than it is. I saw it on Iron Chef once. [shudder]



Word verification: conic -- it comes from France

Anonymous said...

Yah, it does somehow make the food a tad less appetizing when you can't get the gut/head/discarded throw up looking stuff out of your head. :) Beth

word verification baywsi

boston version of someone who has a lot of self confidence

Anonymous said...

I know that pic was meant to show how big the fish was (and it was frighteningly large), but CUBBY IS GETTING SO BIG! Those babies and their growing. How dare they?

MAYBELLINE said...

BARF!

Alicia said...

I need some good fish recipes!

sweetbird said...

I really want bouillabaisse now. I do not, however, want someone to ever fling a dead fish at me.

FinnyKnits said...

Maybelline's comment totally made me laugh.

Meanwhile, I sure hope you guys have a smoker because SMOKED TROUT has got to be one of my favorite things.

inadvertent farmer said...

Ack...that is gross! I thought she was gonna put the heads under the tomatoes in the garden or something!

I would argue that carp and sturgeon are the ugliest fish...just saying. Kim