Sunday, May 9, 2010

An Epistle

Dear Mom,

Hi! Happy Mother's Day! I just talked to you a few days ago, but you know a lot can happen at Blackrock in a few days. And I know you like to keep current on all the craziness that is my life. So let me fill you in on the latest, so you can sit around today with your normal children, wondering where you went so wrong raising a child who gets excited by five hundred pounds of dead cow.

Yes! We have another half-cow in the freezer! WHEE! And I am excited, because we were literally down to only liver and kidneys. And you know I Don't Do Innards. So it's fun to once again have every imaginable cut of beef right at my fingertips. Well, at my fingertips if I'm willing to go freezer-diving and risk falling headfirst into the chest freezer to get to the stuff at the very bottom.

In celebration of our sacrificial cow, we decided to have some London broil for dinner last night. Good thing we chose a cut of meat that can be easily grilled, because, due to SERIOUSLY HIGH winds, the power went out around 4 p.m. A. and I took the opportunity to move furniture, an activity that requires no electricity. Specifically, we moved our bed into the big room and your grandson's crib into the little room. He outgrew the bassinet that has been six inches from my ear since we brought him home. It was a little poignant putting my all-of-the-sudden big boy (relatively speaking, of course) to bed in his very own room last night. But don't worry! He still managed to let me know when he wanted to eat. At 11:30 p.m. And again at 2 a.m. And again at 5 a.m.

Little piglet.

The power was still out at 5: 30 p.m. But we weren't going to let a little thing like no electricity get in the way of feeding time. A. put the meat on the grill, the MiL cooked some potatoes on the woodstove, I harvested the first salad from the garden (baby lettuce, radishes, and asparagus) and we sat down to eat at 6:30 by candlelight. Fun.

The high winds, by the way, have still not abated. And when we got up at 7:30 this morning, it was 37 degrees. THEN, when we were eating breakfast, we saw honest-to-God SNOW blowing around. Spring? What spring? Upstate New York says, HAHAHAHA, suckas! Take some more winter!

Jerk.

But your grandson is bundled in his Cubby suit, the woodstove is roaring away, and all is safe and snug at Blackrock.

I hope you have a fantastic day today. The happiest of days and all my love to you and Duchess.

Love, me

Oh, and a P.S.: The power came back on around seven last night, allowing the MiL to bake me cupcakes for Mother's Day. YUM.

9 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Happy Mother's Day! It sounds like you are having another adventure filled day at Blackrock.

Alicia said...

Happy Mother's Day & Happy Mother's Day to the MiL! Eat a cupcake for me!

p.s. you knew snow was a possibility! They forecasted it!

Tami Bami Wami said...

Happy Mother's day! Enjoy the cupcakes.

Sara said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, Kristin!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to the Blackrock moms. AND your mom.
Beth

word verification 'crypotti'


comin' up in the future at Blackrock

jean said...

Happy Mother's Day. I hope you stay warm tonight. Even here in NJ it's expected to drop into the 30's. I had to bring in all my flowers.

Alicia said...

BTW, in Texas farming news, ears of corn are $.25 because we've just cut our first harvest. Weird. I thought it'd be later because we actually had a springtime this year.

:) I tease because I love.

Anonymous said...

Happy first Mother's Day!

(And this weather is BULLSHIT. We all wore our winter coats this morning.)

Mayberry Magpie said...

Sounds just like Mother's Day in Mayberry. NOT!

It's been 80 around here. Tornadoes are expected today. We all have our burdens.

Happy first Mother's Day!