Wednesday, October 6, 2010

So Much for That

Much as I enjoyed my coffee yesterday--and OH DID I EVER--I am not having any today. And why not, you ask? Because when I have a cold, I don't drink coffee. I drink tea, with lots of honey and a little lemon.

I've had three cups of tea so far this morning. I'll allow you to come to your own conclusions about how chipper I feel today.

I also gargle with salt water when my throat hurts, which, in a spectacular example of timing, The New York Times just endorsed in their Health section. I feel vindicated.

Other than those things, though, I pretty much just stock up on tissues and surrender myself to the misery. I hate medications of any kind, but especially cold medicines. Nyquil, begone! Though I bet A. kind of wishes I took it, so that I would just stay in a Nyquil-induced coma all night instead of coughing and blowing my nose every ten minutes.

Not such a good night last night.

ANYWAY.

A. likes mustard plasters when he has congestion in his chest, and the MiL swears by hot toddies. I'm okay with just my tea and honey. And salt water.

What's your prescription for cold treatments?

10 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

What a coincidence. I just asked the very same thing. I hope yours clears up faster than ours has.


Word verification: hatua -- A religious ruling against the truckers' cap.

Cheryl said...

Coughing is readily vanquished with Lemon, honey and whiskey cough syrup. We stop colds and flu in their tracks using baking soda. Recommended dosages from the Arm and Hammer Company for colds and influenza back in 1925 were:
• During the first day take six doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at about two hour intervals
• During the second day take four doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at the same intervals
• During the third day take two doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water morning and evening, and thereafter half teaspoonful in glass of cool water each morning until cold is cured. Actually any baking soda will work - just make sure it is aluminum free.

Feel better soon!

jive turkey said...

So...when I was in high school, I got a sore throat before I had to perform in a musical, so I figured I'd do the salt water thing. Except I thought you had to DRINK it, not GARGLE with it. Well, I'll let you guess how that turned out.

Phoo-D said...

What a bummer. I hate colds. I do the same thing, tea or just hot water with lemon & honey, and then gargle salt water. Long hot showers help to clear out the congestion. Also if I feel up to it I usually make myself a big batch of chicken soup. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, most stuff I usually do for other things are natural ....but I have to have my sleep so I succumb to generic nyquil for the night. Beth

word verification - freding

doing fred I guess

rockygrace said...

Mustard plasters? Recommended dosages from 1925?

It worked! MY TIME MACHINE WORKED!

:)

FinnyKnits said...

Tomatoes, of course!

Since I rarely get sick, and when I do, it's usually in the dead heat of summer.

Alicia said...

Ice cream and old movies.

Works every time. :)

Daisy said...

Local honey is supposed to be good for building immunity. Drink up!

Word verification: liplue -- something in my purse in lieu of chapstick.

Becky said...

My very first signs of a cold coming on are the loss of any desire for coffee (which I normally love) and a craving for tea--so I'm with you there. But I'm also with the MiL. A hot toddy made with cognac is my nighttime medication of choice (which, BTW, does not appeal except when I have a cold). I do not let mustard touch or enter my body in any form at any time. (I'm just assuming here that a mustard plaster contains said ingredient.)