Saturday, April 23, 2011

Where's the Ark?

We may need it here today. It's raining so hard at the moment, I'm really afraid that the new little pea shoots I saw in the garden the other day may just wash right away.

Luckily, the little tomato seedlings I transplanted to bigger pots yesterday are safe in the study. I can see that the biggest problem with having over 100 baby tomato plants (120 at last count) is that when they are moved from their tiny communal cells into bigger pots so they can stretch and grow, they will take up a LOT more room.

Well, the plants won't take up a lot more room, but the pots will. I only transplanted 16 into new pots yesterday, and that filled up one whole tray. I only have so many south-facing windowsills. And the way this spring is going, I'm not going to be able to put them outside until the Fourth of July.

Maybe I can rig up some kind of woodchuck greenhouse with cinder blocks and all those old windows in the shed. I probably could, actually, but it's not going to be today. Today is no kind of day to be outside working. Which is probably a good thing, since we have 20 people coming for Easter dinner tomorrow and the house is in no fit state for guests at the moment.

So I guess I'll do housework today instead of transplanting more tomatoes. What a drag.

Here's hoping your Saturday is more fun and features more sun than mine, duckies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raining here too...and I hate housework so will have to find something else to do inside.

Daisy said...

South facing windows have limited use when the sun won't come out. I feel like Eeyore: Oh, woe is me. My herbs don't have enough sun.

Anonymous said...

The full life of a gardener....gets fuller by the day. :) Beth

word verification - mocket

combo cleaning implement
mop/bucket

Ann said...

How I wish it were only rain down here in Kentucky. We sat in the basement during a tornado warning at 6:30 this morning, and thunder is rumbling again. Severe thunderstorms are expected at least through tomorrow. I try to avoid complaining about the weather, but enough already.

Rae said...

We actually have sun for once, and it is fabulous. Fingers crossed that you get some of the same soon. :)