Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shady

It occurred to me as I was driving my new/used car (which actually will not REALLY be my car until the car seat is installed in the back--how telling) to the mechanic the other day that I don't even own a pair of sunglasses anymore.

Yes, this occurred to me at night as I was driving in the dark. I suppose my thought process went something like, "Car from Arizona . . . driving in Arizona . . . ALWAYS needed shades . . . no shades here."

ANYWAY.

I remember when I first met A. (we met and lived together in Phoenix for a year before moving to New York state), I was really surprised that he didn't wear sunglasses. I always wore them. You just didn't leave the house without them, for obvious BLINDING-DESERT-SUN reasons. But A. didn't even own any. He just wasn't used to them and didn't like the feel of them on his face or the way they somewhat restricted his vision.

Now I know what he was talking about.

Shortly after moving to Albany and starting to work as a proofreader, my vision went to shit. Reading closely for eight hours a day will do that. I had to get glasses for the first time in my life. Just for driving, but driving is of course when you need sunglasses the most. My glasses came with some magnetized, removable sunglasses things. I used them for awhile, but they got bent and scratched and after awhile, I just kind of . . . gave up on them.

Sunglasses are far from necessary here (hello, third straight day of dark, rain-laden skies!), but I don't even wear them now when we visit Arizona. Because I'm just not used to them anymore.

I suppose I could make some profound comment about how this small change is just representative of the larger change in my lifestyle, but forget the profound. That's not my style. Instead, let me just ask: How about you, poppets? Are you a shades kind of person, or do you prefer to go bare-faced?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh...I bought myself an expensive pair of sunglasses thinking I was doing something good for my eyes...and I can never remember to wear them. I should have bought myself something to improve my memory.

Sherry said...

Well, since I am essentially blind without corrective lenses, my sunshades are the same prescription as my other glasses, except, of course, for blocking out the sun! It's a small price to pay to be able to see. . . not to mention NYS stamped my drivers license with "corrective lens"

Anonymous said...

I never wear them. If necessary, I squint. Mary in MN

Alicia said...

In Houston, they're pretty necessary. Somehow the sun manages to hurt my eyes even on the mostly cloudy days. I barely go a day without wearing them.

That being said, I do break quite a few pairs every year (one about every 3 months,) so I refuse to spend over $20/pair.

My current pair is weird though. They've lasted me for two years. Not that I don't have a few backup pairs when they decide to take a short vacation under the couch or something.

Anonymous said...

I have prescription glasses that turn dark when you are out in the sun....lazy much?

word verfication- logynewa

American Indian word for brand new canoe :)

Sara said...

I never leave the house without my sunglasses (well, except at night). I often wear them even when it's cloudy; I hate any bit of brightness in my eyes. The proofreading hasn't helped my already questionable vision, but the contacts allow me to wear cheap sunglasses; no magnets needed!

Phoo-D said...

I keep sunglasses in my car year-round, but we do live in the self proclaimed "sunshine state". Lol. When I lived in Washington sunglasses were as hard to find as lost socks.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Shades all the time - whenever it gets remotely bright, not raining or even sunny, I've got them on.
I like to think of it as when it's dark all the time, when it gets light, I'm even more susceptible to light blindness.
Like a mole exiting her cave....

calisesu- short hand for "I have calluses - do you?"

Sister’s Sailor said...

I finally broke down and bought my first pair just over a year ago...I got by without them for years (even at sea it wasn't a bother) but the relentless sun and lack of shade in the Wild West finally broke me. Plus it is hard to find a pair that actually fits my large HEED! (Yes as in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" fame). And my ones for the two wheeler have interchangeable lenses for day/night.

Daisy said...

I like my sunglasses. Blame it on the sun reflecting off the snow. Yes, it snowed 8 inches yesterday and last night. 8, horrible, slushy, heavy inches.

Anonymous said...

Always - even if it's cloudy - I know I'll need them later. I often run around the house finding: purse, keys and sunglasses. Even though I have 3 or 4 pairs.
-Moi

Veggie Virginia said...

Texas= Sunglasses
I own several- prescription, non prescription, etc and I wear them all the time.