Monday, April 18, 2011

Navigating the Paperwork Maze

There are some things in this modern life of ours that are guaranteed to cause stress in the form of paperwork: Getting married and changing your name on every blessed legal document in the world, insurance claims, and anything involving the Department of Motor Vehicles. I have personally dealt with all of these things and, at the moment, am deep in the throes of that last one.

See, A. and I did decide to get a Subaru Outback to replace my trusty-but-rusty old Nissan. It just kind of happened that the approximate year and price range we were looking for was the same as the Outback my mother had. And when I was talking to my dad about what we were looking for, he asked if I wanted to buy my mother's car. She was looking for a newer car anyway, so it seemed fortuitous for us all. Her car is in good condition and she's owned it for all but two of its years, so I knew it had been treated nicely. After some online haggling, we agreed on a price* and all that remained was to get it from Arizona to New York.

My father very kindly took care of finding a car shipping broker and setting up the details (and also very kindly tacked on the shipping costs to the overall price of the car, but did NOT charge me for his services in setting it all up, so I'll accept that). Then my parents signed the title over to me and shipped it Certified Mail.

And then our postman refused to walk up the driveway on Saturday when he was deterred by the Deterrent, so that the title is now sitting at the post office awaiting our pick-up. Annoying.

ANYWAY.

Once I have the title in my hot little hands, I can then begin the real paper chase. Calling the insurance company to get the car on our insurance, then having them fax the appropriate paperwork to A.'s handy home office. Printing out the registration form from the DMV website and filling it out, along with a form for sales tax exemption because the vehicle was purchased from a family member. Gathering all the various papers and forms of identification together and getting to the DMV to actually register the thing.

I don't know about you, but my record for actually having everything I need to get a transaction completed at the DMV the first time I go in is not very good. I will endeavor to do it this time, because I now have Cubby to deal with, so I do not have the luxury of driving to and from the Small City more than once.

And then, finally, after jumping through all the bureaucratic hoops, me and my shiny new/used car will drive off into the sunset. I hope.

* Not joking. This is a business transaction, and I was not going to accept the first selling price offered. Even if it was offered by my own father. Family ties are no excuse for ignorant business dealings.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Dealing with the NYS DMV is like being dragged over hot coals. When my father died, I had his car transported up here. He had signed over the title to me before he died. But, guess what, there was one other form he needed to sign (it's been over 7 years ago so I don't remember the details). Think it had something to do with paying sales tax. Anyway, the woman at the DMV wasn't going to budge. . . the transaction could not be completed without my father's signature on this one form, never mind that he had died. FINALLY, I got them to see things my way. What part of "dead and buried" don't they understand???

Cindy S said...

Love the Subbie (soo-bee). Growing up in VT it was the worlds most reliable car.

Enjoy your new baby!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new car; always exciting. Good on you for negotiating.

Anonymous said...

I recently learned that though our local BMV no longer takes our calls they go to a call center and that on your your license renewal it clearly states...do this shit online.......you don't have to....they still do it at the local branch and are glad to help you and want to keep their jobs so they say tell everyone you know that you can COME IN and do all this. Just doing my part for the local IN BMV.....
Great you got a newer to you car that will be more reliable ...you can tool around wherever and whenever you want.....no matter you DON'T go anywhere......it is freeing to know you CAN if you want to....for me anyway. Beth

Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of what I am going through with TreasuryDirect, the place that sells Treasury notes and used to be good deal when my father was alive and invested in them. They now have gone all online. Nevermind that my mother, who is 92 and owns all these notes, is not on the internet. Tough! So now I am posing as her for the online transactions. Does that make sense? Mary in MN

mil said...

Oh please do not drive off into the sunset, which, you will remember, forms a wonderful golden red path -- directly across the lake!

Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Haley said...

Random question that does not at all relate to today's post: You mentioned the other day that you had started seedlings but would be buying paste tomato plants to plant. Is there a reason why you don't start those from seeds too? I am a novice gardener and have never grown tomatoes, so I was just curious. Are they harder to start or something?

Sorry this is unrelated. It didn't even register with me until I was squashing up tomatoes with my hands today, and I don't know if anyone reads comments on days-old posts, so I'm asking here.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Haley: No, paste varieties aren't harder; I just didn't want to have so many seedlings(HAHAHAHA), so I always figure if I buy the paste seedlings, I only need to worry about producing twelve viable seedlings myself.

I see the humor in that this year, obviously.