Saturday, August 27, 2011

Another Fun Saturday at Blackrock

A. got up bright and early this morning, ate some eggs, and then hopped on the roof to begin another round of roofing. By himself this time, as he's just doing the small roof over the patio on the south side of the house right now. It's not very big, but even the small number of shingles that came off so the new ones could go on poses a serious pain in the ass.

Shingles are made of asphalt. Asphalt is really damn heavy. And we have no way to dispose of trash except in plastic bags at the dump. So the MiL and I basically loaded a strip of roadway into numerous plastic bags for disposal. Ridiculous.

This is what you get for doing it yourself.

I'm really, really hoping that A. can get this all done today. You know, before that little weather event named Irene comes our way tomorrow. I have no idea what we might get as a result of that storm. Some of our local weather forecasts are all, "Ho hum. Some rain, a little colder. Whatever." And some of them are all, "OHMYGOD BOARD YOUR WINDOWS, LOCK YOUR CHILDREN IN THE BASEMENT, IRENE IS COMIIIIIIING!!!"

It's a wee bit inconsistent, is what I'm getting at.

So we'll just try to get the roof done today, make sure all the animals are set with shelter for tomorrow, and see what happens.

And now, if you'll pardon me, I must resume my role as pissboy for the resident roofer. Happy Saturday, duckies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a heck of a way to spend a weekend,,,loading asphalt and keeping an eye out for Irene.

Haley said...

Oh, Irene. I spent the morning trying to buy a flashlight, but everyone in Boston is sold out. Everyone at the grocery store was going insane and stocking up for the apocalypse. Personally, I'm guessing our power might go out for a few hours but am not really anticipating anything worse. Hopefully I'm not wrong...

Anonymous said...

I am guessing Haley has never been through a hurricane.
If your electricity is on poles and not buried the trees that go down will take the power lines and phone lines and cable lines down and you could be without all that for hours or even days. No power =no air conditioning , gas pumps, cash registers and such.
Depends on how hard a wind hit you get where you are. We are in the central U.S. where tornadoes are more our speed...but there are electic company guys from here already there to help with the lines .
Good luck all of you in Irene's path. Beth

Daisy said...

Take care! I hope all of you, including animals, are safe.

Haley said...

I've been through dozens of hurricanes, just guessing this one isn't going to put power out for days in my area of Boston, but I bought water and prepared along with everyone else. There's already no air conditioning in Boston, so the power being out isn't going to change that =).

I am scheduled to move on Thursday to a part of the area with buried power lines, but unfortunately I'm still out here with above-ground lines for the storm.

Am curious what happens to all the frozen food at Blackrock in a power outage- do you have a generator? I am guessing that all the people stocking up on frozen dinners at the store this morning don't...

FinnyKnits said...

Sounds like it's time to hunker down and can some tomatoes. Hope the roof's on tight and you get the former weather forecast.