Monday, August 22, 2011

The Future Mr. Fixit

I foresee a future for Cubby in which there will be many, many tools. And the reason I foresee this is because that child has a straight-up obsession with tools.

Perhaps you think I'm exaggerating? Perhaps you won't when I tell you that one of Cubby's favorite "books" is the Northern Tool catalog. This thing is approximately 600 pages long (no joke) and we will sit there for half an hour paging through it with Cubby, patiently reading the descriptions for every blessed tool known to man. It goes like this: "Industrial pressure washer hose reel, 15-gallon steel low-profile oil drain, horizontal E-tack, utility trailer, heavy-duty electric chain hoists . . ." and on and on and on until infinity.

As the MiL has said, it lacks plot development. Nonetheless, it is fascinating to Cubby. His favorites are the chain saws ("sa? sa? sa? sa?") and the full-sized tractors ("twa? twa? twa? twa?") which are pictured being driven by men ("ma? ma? ma? ma?") in hats ("ha? ha? ha? ha?").

You can see the fun.

Cubby is also never happier than when he stumbles upon a hammer when he's outside. This happens more often than you might think, since his father may be less than diligent when it comes to putting away his tools. No matter, though, because it gives Cubby the opportunity to snatch up the hammer ("ha? ha? ha? ha?") and run off with it. He doesn't always actually hammer with it, seeming content to just cuddle it close to him and crow with delight at his prize.

Screwdrivers are also exciting. As are bolts, screws, nails, pliers, and anything else that might be found at your local hardware store. I should just take him to the hardware store in the village and drop him off. I bet he could entertain himself there for hours.

The man who runs it might not be so entertained, however.

We encourage this fascination with tools. It should come in handy some day, what with all the things that need fixing around here.

So have at that hammer, my son. Allow it to become an extension of your hand. And then build me a laying box for the hens, would you?
We could use a new one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a picture in my mind of your sweet baby, his eyes alight with joy, cradling daddys hammer.

sheila said...

engineer

jean said...

When my son was a toddler he had the same fascination with tools. It is a genetic trait he inherited from my Dad. (my husband doesn't know a thing about tools) When my father was fixing an electrical outlet he turned his back for just a second and my son took a hammer and dropped it down the hole. It's still there! He is much better coordinated now and just installed his own curtain rods! My Dad is a very proud Poppy!!

Daisy said...

I love that he's falling in love with real tools, not the plastic imitations.

Anonymous said...

Makes birthday gifts easy! Mary in MN

rls said...

This is the cutest post ever.