Tuesday, August 23, 2011

An Important Lesson

Cubby is accustomed to sleeping in his own bed. By himself. He will not sleep if I bring him into bed with us because of piteous teething wailing at 3:45 a.m. He will roll and thrash and headbutt my throat, but he will not sleep.

I'll remember this next time and remind myself that the crying will stop sooner rather than later, and even more sooner (settle down, grammar people, I know that's incorrect) if I just leave him alone to go back to sleep.

Had I only been thinking that clearly at 3:45 this morning, I could have had an extra hour of sleep.

Ah well. Parental education is ongoing. And tiring.

4 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Amen to that. I am listening to a screaming baby right now as I am trying to get her to nap in her crib instead of the car. SIGH.

Anonymous said...

Could you have given him a hammer to cuddle? Mary in MN

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I say give him his favorite book and let him page through it until he drifts off.

Those catalogs make me drowsy every time....

æble said...

I remember that lesson, it was three months ago!

We thankfully found a Godsend product since. I don't know if they have it in the US, but we are using something called Camilia for my daughter's teething. It's totally natural (no sugar, alcohol, etc.) doesn't numb anything, and usually calms her within 5 minutes after one dose.