Thursday, February 6, 2014

In Which I Go Off the Rails

When A. bought me this shiny new laptop--which was three years ago, and so it is of course now a decrepit old laptop on which there is an extra wireless keyboard because some of the keys on the laptop itself broke and it always has to be plugged in because the battery is shot, both of which would have cost more to fix than this computer is worth, and so there you have the longest dash-enclosed aside EVER, GOOD JOB, KRISTIN--I vowed I would be better about organizing and deleting photos from it.

You can probably guess how well that went.

If you still have some faith in my vow follow-through (thank you for your misplaced optimism), I will now dash it by telling you that I just grabbed this photo from my laptop folder. It's from almost exactly a year ago:


Off to tap some trees.

I could take almost that exact same photo now--snow, boy in that same coat and all--except for the fact that there is no way we're going to be tapping any trees in the near future. The forecast laughs at our attempts to find a stretch of weather in the next month in which the highs will be the forties and the lows will be below freezing (that's what makes maple trees run). There's nothing but winter to be seen for the next several weeks.

On the upside, that means A. might actually get a chance to take Cubby ice fishing this winter. With Mr. Jason, of course. They want to fish for burbot. Don't know what burbot is? Yeah, no one else does, either. It's a type of freshwater cod that apparently tastes something like lobster.

If they catch one, I'll let you know how optimistic that comparison is.

And in the meantime, perhaps I should use this housebound winter weather as an opportunity to get control of the photo situation on my laptop.

Or maybe I'll just sit by the fire and read a book. That sounds better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I think I was there for that photo! I may have even taken it with your camera. That was a fun experience getting the spiles placed. Mostly because it was unseasonably warm. As it has been every time I have visited in the winter.

Perhaps I should visit more often....

-moi

Anonymous said...

Would that maybe be turbot? My mom used to serve that, broiled with lemon slices, claiming it was the "poor man's lobster". I just thought it was bland.

Kristin @ Going Country said...



Moi: You did indeed take that photo. It was in a folder labeled "T.'s photos."

Anonymous: Nope. Turbot is a flat fish, commonly raised commercially; nothing like burbot, which is kind of snake-like and not commercial.

Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry for burbot refers to it as "poor man's lobster." I guess maybe any firm, white fish gets that comparison.

FinnyKnits said...

Read the book. I figure the moments for peace and quiet with a book are fewer and farther between than time spent on the computer.

At least that's how I justify it to myself.

Roger A. Post said...

Burbot, fresh from the river (in your location, probably, a lake), fileted, cubed, and deep fried, on a sandbar or shore, are exquisite. That used to be a Memorial Day weekend tradition on the Tanana River among my compadres. Don't forget the beer!

Daisy said...

Little by little, organize the photos, and then put them on a jump drive. Once in a while - usually once a year - I organize photos. I don't have little guys who need me, though. It's a little easier to find time.